Catcher in the Rye Reading Log
Chapters 1 & 2
"I was flunking four subjects and not applying myself"(Salinger 6).
Chapters 3 & 4
"He was always asking you to do him a big favor. You take a very handsome guy, or a guy that thinks he's a real hot shot, and they're always asking you to do them a big favor"(Salinger 27).
A key topic in this novel is community. Community is described as who was included versus who was alienated. This quotes explains that Stradlater is alienating Holden. Holden is being alienated because Stradlater is asking Holden to write a paper for him as he goes on a date. As Stradlater is being included in social activities, Holden is not because now he has to stay home and write a paper that is not for him.
Chapters 5 & 6
When Stradlater returned home from his date with Jane the corridor was quiescent. Stradlater complaining that Holden wrote about the wrong thing it makes him look very callous. Straddler was not elated when he read was Holden wrote. When Holden started to smoke inside I was nervous that there was going to be a conflagration. It seems to me that Holden is very tacit when it comes to Jane.
Chapters 7 - 13
Chapter 7: Why do you think Holden can't stop thinking about Jane after she went on the date with Stradlater?
Chapter 8: Why does Holden continue to make up lies while he talks to Mrs. Morrow?
Chapter 9: Why did Holden say he was only available for cocktails Saturday night and not Sunday?
Chapter 10: Why does Holden describe Phoebe the way he does?
Chapter 11: Do you think Holden was in love with Jane?
Chapter 12: How might the ducks relate to Holden?
Chapter 13: Why does Holden pay for the prostitute to leave?
John Green Video
1. Throughout the novel Holden wants to stop time to maintain is innocence. Holden is scared of the responsibilities an adult might have. Similar to Gatsby, Holden wants to stop time to hold on to his innocence.
2. Holden asks multiple people how it is growing up and what the future will hold. This shows that Holden is afraid of what the future will be if he does not maintain his innocence.
3. Holden wears the red hunting hat to hide aging. This is another sign that Holden wants to keep his innocence.
14. Do you think Holden is truly religious?
15. What do you think Holden changing his personality around others says about him?
16. Why do you think Holden never finds any flaws in Phoebe?
17. Why was Holden willing to marry Sally even though he wants to keep his innocence?