HZ Geo Act 2 Preview
We imagined and created our community, Tiki-Tokied, ArcMapped our campus and invented GAMapping in the 'First Act'. What will we do next?
My Learner Profile
What is My Learner Profile?
In the first week of the First Act we responded to a survey that was meant to help us map our learning habits, preferences, styles and characteristics ... but we never finished. In the first week of the Second Act we'll receive our answers to the survey and create our Learner Profiles. More details will be posted on HZ Geo Google Classroom.
When is it due?
You should have 'My Learner Profile' finished and submitted on Google Classroom by Sunday, November 9, and you should be ready to share it at the Student-Parent-Teacher Conferences (SPTCs) on Saturday, November 15.
with John Hunter
This is an amazing opportunity to connect with Mr. John Hunter, TED speaker and creator of The World Peace Game. As a GAMapping team you should develop at least one good question based on Mr. Hunter's story and experience with The World Peace Game. Please watch the video below as a team and post your question in the comment section of this Tackk by Tuesday, November 4 at 2 pm.
When: Tuesday, November 4 at 8:30 pm in the Library
Who: Everyone is invited, but at least one person from every GAMapping team is required to attend. Please RSVP below by Tuesday at 5:00 pm if you are attending.
Parent-Teacher-Student Conferences (PTSCs)
I am really looking forward to sitting down with you and your parents during Parent Weekend (November 14-16). Due to the fact that I work with all of you amazing CIS Hangzhou students, I will get to meet with all 70 sets of parents. This means we get just 5 minutes each. In this short amount of time you have a challenging job:
- Introduce me in a unique, creative and respectful way to your parents. (30 sec)
- Share what you've done, and what you've learned by doing it, with your parents. (1 min 30 sec)
- Explain one way in which you could improve the quality of your own learning. (30 sec)
- Suggest one way in which I could help you to improve the quality of your own learning. (30 sec)
- Invite, and leave time for, your parents to ask you or me any questions. (2 min)
I will not say anything except for 'Very nice to meet you' (or something similar) until the last 2 minutes, and only if your parents have any questions for me or they have no questions (in which case I'll fill the remaining time highlighting the things about you that I really admire).
Please plan thoughtfully so that you, your parents and me can get the most out of our short time together.
For the past two weeks before adventuring back to Hong Kong at the end of the First Act, you and your GAMapping team worked hard to create a map of campus and start to imagine a Game that could be played using that map. We pushed ourselves to wonder about campus, and think about the stories that do and could play themselves out within the walls of Greentown Yuhua School.
Now, we have two weeks to turn this hard work into our first versions of complete GAMaps.
How will we share our GAMaps?
There are three ways you will share your Campus GAMap:
- You will create a 4-6 minute Video Presentation that explains your map, your game concept, the process of developing the game and the lessons you learned about game design, mapping, Greentown Yuhua School campus, and collaboration (DUE Friday, November 14),
- You will share your Video Presentation at a GAMap Fair during Parent Weekend and explain what you did and what you learned to your parents during PTSCs (on Saturday, November 15), and
- You will create a Tackk (and post on your blog) sharing and reflecting on all of our questions of the week and how they relate to your GAMap (DUE Monday, November 24).
Once we have created, shared and reflected upon our first GAMaps we will launch into our Turn the World Into a Game: Neighborhood GAMapping Project on Tuesday, November 25.
The remainder of the Semester (Second Act and Third Act) will be used for the completion of this project.
Every Map Tells a Story
We will be embarking on two learning journeys beyond campus in the Second Act.
Tuesday, November 18: The first one will be one day, and we'll join with the participants of the Planetwalk Learning Journey Design Conference and some friends from Greentown Yuhua School to explore the hills surrounding West Lake.
Thursday and Friday, December 11-12: The second one will be two days, and we'll go to the famous water town of Wuzhen for our Individuals & Societies IDE before leaving for the December holiday.
For both learning journeys you will have the opportunity to use some fun technologies, meet new people, ask new questions and create new stories. These stories will take the form of an Esri Storymap. We'll receive more detailed information on HZ Geo Google Classroom, during briefings in class and during special briefings scheduled before both learning journeys.