Gamal Abdel Nasser
By: Summer Maccubbin and Joshua Chow
- King Farouk of Egypt was the last king and British puppet.
- Gamal Abdel Nasser took over by over throwing the king.
- The military was highly involved in this political revolution.
- Held control by scapegoating the Muslim Brotherhood.
- Called them Communists.
- Forced the Muslim Brotherhood underground.
- Promoted Cold War neutralism
- Egypt was a leading representative candidate for the Arab world
- Did not want Israel to be formed.
- Thought Israel represented the Europeans still had an unfair grasp in the Middle East.
- Good at playing the US off the USSR and vice versa.
- Able to get what he wanted from the two superpowers to benefit Egypt.
- Even gave aid to Algeria to fight off the French as a way to prove his dedication to nationalism.
- Began after the British started to move out of Egypt
- The Egyptian government seized he Suez Canal.
- Egypt's plan was to use profits of the Suez Canal for building another dam on the Nile river.
- This came after the one the British built when they were in control
- The French, British, and Israeli forces came to keep the Suez Canal multinational.
- The US condemned this and backed Egyptian control
- Established a regional defense pact with Saudi Arabia, Syria, and Jordan
- Seen as a threat to pro-western nations in the region
- Nationalized British and French assets in Egypt
- Popular among the Islamic states
- Imagined as the leader for the region, the speaker for Islamic states
- Wanted to present an independent unified Arab World
- Became extremely close to Syria, joining to form United Arab Republic
- Added Yemen as a sovereign state
- Iraqi monarch is overthrown and many support the union of UAR and Iraq