What is it?
- My project is a: Coffee meetup flyer for the Maryland Art Education Association Research Division.
- I made something that: will hopefully encourage art educators to develop peer study groups
Why did you make it?
- I made it because I've always wanted to see: educators collaborating with peers outside of their district
- I wanted to see if I could: make a flyer that was warm, inviting and stayed within the color scheme of the MAEA website
What challenges did you face?
- I had a really hard time with: making the palette of the Maryland State Flag warm and approachable. The first attempt looked more like a bake sale flyer.
- Moving through the project: I made the photographs of the coffee shop the focal point, rather than the titles, to draw the viewer in.
How did you overcome any problems?
- The solution was to: use pastel and jewel shades of red and yellow, the flyer was more inviting.
- I was able to find a workaround by: using brush textures that mimicked wood panelling, to mirror the rustic quality of Artifact Coffee's interior.
What did you like/dislike about the project?
- I really liked that: the cupboard structure frames the images and text boxes.
- I didn't like that: I adhered too closely to the MAEA color scheme. In the end, I that the palette wouldn't have mattered, as long as I included the logo.
What would you do differently?
- If I did this again, I would: use a palette with subtler color transitions, focusing on cool blues, purples and greys.
- Next project, I would: be more adventurous with my text layout and rely less on source photographs.