NBA 21C Inquiry
GOAL? TO PREDICT COMMISSIONER SILVER'S PUNISHMENT FOR DONALD STERLING
By now you surely have heard of the controversial racist remarks that Clipper owner Danny Sterling allegedly made in a private conversation to his girlfriend. NBA fans, players, pundits, and pretty much everyone else have responded in various forms of outrage:
But new commissioner Adam Silver has yet to make a decision about Sterling-and your job today is predict what the outcome will be. Answers will be judged based on a) your ability to come up with a rationale for your decision and, of course b) how accurate you are able to predict Silver's response. Your answer will be evaluated based on all of the following success criteria:
1) Your ability to identify the issues surrounding Silver's decision (i.e.Who exactly has Sterling hurt? Can the tape conclusively be linked to him?)
2) Your ability to identify the key stakeholders a play (who is offended? who is stands to lose the most? which organizations and associations have already made statements?)
3) Your ability to research the precedent punishments that apply to this case (past NBA commissioners punishing owners, severity of punishment, similar scenarios that occurred in other.
4) Your Ability to identify predictions made by other pundits that seem balanced and rooted in precedent and evidence (you can use these!)
5) Your ability to synthesize all this information and give an assertive statement of his punishment. This can be done with the medium of your choice, but bonus points will be given for a dramatic enactment (live, film, audio) that can be compared directly to Silver's upcoming press conference….
6) Any sources you use should be acknowledged using MLA internet protocol
That's a lot of criteria-I suggest you work collaboratively in groups of 3-4
GOOD LUCK-DUE BEFORE THE COMMISH ANNOUNCES HIS DECISION
Chocolate for the winners!!!!