The Independent Reading Project
Quarters 2 and 3
Let the reading begin!
The Independent Reading Project is a much beloved tradition and practice for LHS 9th grade English students. The project begins in quarter 2 and runs through the end of quarter 3. The goal of the IRP is to foster a true love of reading in our students. Students may choose nearly any book that intrigues them, provided that it is age and reading level appropriate. We will read most Fridays during class and assign IRP reading time for homework.
- You may read anything you wish! You may read on eReaders and with actual, paper books - not iPhones or iPads.
- Over the course of Quarters 2 and 3 you must read at least four books. Yes, you can read more!
- There will be various creative projects associated with the IRP
- You can read on Nooks, Kindles, (not your phones or iPads)
- You can substitute one book for an audio book - please see me to approve it first!
Recommendations of what to read
How Will I Share My Love of Reading?
As you read you have the option to actively engage with your book in the following ways:
- Create a Goodreads account and become friends with the class Goodreads account, with your friends, and Ms. DePesa. Join in on reading together as we participate in book discussions through Goodreads.
- Shelfie Pics - use #LHShelfie and #DePesaIRP- for Twitter and Instagram, onto the Shelfie page. Students can share out images of the books they are reading on a shelf or staged in some way. Please do NOT include pictures that show your face. The book is the star here!
- Quote Illustrations- select a favorite or thought-provoking quote from a book you are reading. Take a picture of the world or create an illustration that reflects the quote and overlay the quote on top of it. Post it out to the world! Use #LHShelfie and #DePesaIRP to share. Make this on PAPER.
- You can use class time on Fridays to read and actively engage in the above activities Join the DePesa Good Reads Book Group here!
Possible Creative Assignments (With Rubrics)
More details to follow
- Ideal Bookshelf Project- Students will create "ideal bookshelves" based off of the books that they read for the two quarters. See more ideal bookshelves here. We will ultimately use those Ideal Bookshelves on Thinglink and create shareable presentations.
- Poetry and creative writing - more details to follow!
- Critical Book Reviews on a selected book to be posted on Goodreads.
how will I be graded?
- Read 2 books in quarter 2 and 2 books in quarter 3 - four total
- Prepared in class on Fridays - you must always have your book. You can't use class time to pick a book, and you can't grab one from the back because you forgot your book. No book = not prepared. I will use class Dojo to track.
- Participation in various reading activities - through Goodreads, Shelfies, or Quote Pics. I will use Dojo to track.
- Completion of creative assignments assessed with Rubrics