What is it? Digital literacy is the learning and teaching of the uses of technology.
What do I teach my child?
- Website reliability. Teach your child that not everything on the internet is true. Some websites were written by people who have no idea what they are talking about.
-Search engines! Google is not the only search engine out there. There are more efficient search engines to find different kinds of information.
-Computer terms. How will your child know how to use the internet if they don't even know the names of things? Make sure to teach them what the different parts of a computer are and what they are used for.
-Technology is used in more ways than one. Make sure to teach your child the importance of technology on people with special needs, (ability to speak)and leaning
Digital Access is the amount of people with readily available internet versus those who dont.
What about the children??
-Digital Native. If your child is any younger than 15, they are a digital native. In their lives, there has never been a time where the internet wasn't readily accessible. Make sure to tell them about how the internet has changed peoples lives because of all the readily available information.
- Digital Divide. As surprising as this may be, the internet isn't everywhere. There is a division between those who have internet and those who do not.
-Explain the history of the internet. The internet evolved quite a bit very quickly. It started off as a way to establish a lead in science and technology for the military. about a decade after there was a network between 2 computers in Stanford and UCLA. From there we kept going with email, web addresses, and social media.
-What is the future of the internet? The evolution of the internet does not stop here. There are still many open doors and windows to climb through. Focus on inanimate forms of life. Robots are being created to clean our houses, feed our dogs, and to try and solve our problems.
Digital Health and Wellness
Digital Health and Wellness is the ability to use technology in a physically and psychologically safe manner.
How do I make my kids listen?
-Posture! Children don't have very good posture to begin with, but if they don't sit up straight and sit in alignment, there will be back problems in the near future.
- Mental diseases. Just like anything else in the world, the internet can be addicting. If you spend hours upon hours online and are suddenly deprived of a screen a person can become very anxious to sit down on the computer once more.
-Technology Dependence. Explain to your child that their brain is more powerful than Google. If all they do is look things up, the won't learn much. Yes, it is faster to look something up, but very little will be retained.
Digital laws are restrictions that we as users must follow.
Children, its story time!
-There are many rules and regulations on copyrighted materials. The U.S. Congress makes these laws for The United States, while WIPO, (World Intellectual Property Organization), makes the regulations for all countries. That way if there are conflicts between two countries, it can easily be resolved
-Technology is not a lawless place. Your children have probably seen the above picture dozens of times before in movies. Copyright is a way for the creator of a work to claim it as theirs. Making copies of something and usinf it for your own benefit or making a profit from them is the same as stealing!
- Although after saying this,your child may be going crazy because s/he thinks they're going to jail, explain fair use. A person can use a copyrighted work without asking the creator permission for four reasons:Criticism, News Reporting, Teaching, and Research.
-SOPA/PIPA (Stop Online Piracy Act/ Protect IP Act) These are two acts that were almost passed because of copyright infringement. Many people were breaking copyright laws, and the government wanted to put a stop to it.
Digital Communication is the way you connect to others over technology.
Ohhh.... the kids!
-Social networking vs. Society. Before technology all people had was one another and they would physically interact with each other. Face to face contact has become scarce because of a screen. It is easier to type something and edit before sending. People don't have filters for their mouths.
-Humans are naturally social creatures, so naturally when we are handed a piece of technology we want to find a way to share it with man other "friends" But how many friends do you really have? It can't be very many, you wouldn't have time for them.
-Maintaining relationships. It is very easy to stay connected with friends and family all around the world, and you can very easily maintain these relationships, but are they real?
- Dunbar's theory. Mr. Dunbar came up with an approximate amount of real friends a person may have. That number is 150. His reasoning is time. You can't be friends with soomeone you dont talk to or spend time with.
Digital Commerce is the buying and selling of goods over the internet.
How do I teach shopping to kids or myself?
- The evolution of shopping. Before the internet all shopping was done in stores. The color of the ad caught your eye and you walked in, but now not only do you seek for ads, they find you. They are all over.
- During the time where eCommerce was being born, creators had to think about many questions such as shipping,customer service, returns, warehouse space, featured products, and prices
-eCommerce has evolved plenty but that doesn't mean its completely safe. If you want to make a safe transaction make sure there's a padlock symbol on your URL bar when you use a credit card, it could save you from getting your identity stolen.
-Customer reviews. People tend to trust customer reviews more than ads. When you write a review make sure to write your experince, your feelings on the product, prices, and good and bad thing about the product. If the product has something to do with your hairm skin, teeh etc. make sure to mention length, surface roughness, and type.
Digital Security is a way to stay safe on the internet
How are they safe?
- Identity theft. Everyone in the world isn't pleasant and if you are very loose with what you put on the internet (Social Security number, address, phone number, age, credit card information) it can be very easy to hack into your account.
-Passwords! Teach your child that passwords need to be strong. The shouldn't use a name a word on the dictionary,or birthdays. Strong passwords should be at least 8 characters long and contain uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, AND symbols;better yet use a acronym! EG: and the man jumped over the moon...turns into.... &Tm^0;o1
-Digital Image is how you are seen on the internet. Make sure your child is aware of the fact that what they post on the internet stays there. They could lose their job because of something bad they post (smoking pictures, rude comments), or not get hired at all. They might not even get accepted to the college they want because of their digital image. Teach them to do things so they are seen in a positive light over the internet. Tell them to participate in extracurricular activities!
-Digital Footprint is the things you actually do on the internet. If you sign up for a new website it leaves a footprint. If you make a goodreads account it leaves a footprint. If you are on the internet at all you have a digital footprint
Digital Etiquette is the way you conduct yourself on the internet.
It's that time again!
- Appropriate behavior. While you are surfing the internet make sure to stay out of any fights. Just because you are behind a screen does not mean you can be rude or bully others. Use the golden rule:Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
-Consequences of being bad over the internet. Believe it or not, you can go to jail for the kinds of things you do on the internet. If you bully someone and they take their life it is your fault. If you post less than appropriate pictures, you can get into problems with the Police.
Digital Rights and Responsibilities
Digital rights and responsibilities are the rights and responsibilities given to everyone on the internet.
One last time
- Take care of your own computer and not spread viruses. If you dont want viruses on your computer you take care of it, your responsibility is to fix a virus if you have one and not spread it onto the rest of the community.
- Right to privacy and protection. As digital citizens you have the right to be private and protected. If you don't want people to look at your Facebook make sure it is set onto private mode, or don't make at all. If you would like to be protected on the internet make sure you buy from reputable websites and use antivirus.