San Francisco Earthquake of 1906
Danielle Witt, Seth Fields
The San Francisco Earthquake occurred on April 18, 1906. It just so happens that the San Francisco earthquake happened in San Francisco. This particular earthquake was a 7.8 on the Richter scale. There were over 3,000 fatalities. Due to this unfortunate event about 28,000 buildings were destroyed and it cost more than $400 million dollars. This earthquake fell along the San Andreas fault line. Yes there were aftershocks.
1) Caused estimated property damage of $400 million, or more than $8 billion in today's dollars.
2) Ranked one of the most significant earthquake of all time.
3) First major natural disaster to have its effect recorded by photograph.
4) Before the earthquake, San Francisco had about 400,000 people.
5) The earthquake shifted the ground at an estimated the ground 4 to 5 feet per second, while the rupture traveled at about 5,900 miles per hour.