How to prevent identity theft!
How can I protect my identity?
Protect your personal information. That helps you protect your identity. Here are some things you can do:
- At home:
- keep your financial records, Social Security and Medicare cards in a safe place
- shred papers that have your personal or medical information
- take mail out of your mailbox as soon as you can
- As you do business:
- only give your Social Security number if you must. Ask if you can use another kind of identification
- do not give your personal information to someone who calls you or emails you
- On the computer:
- use passwords that are not easy to guess. Use numbers and symbols when you can
- do not respond to emails or other messages that ask for personal information
- do not put personal information on a computer in a public place, like the library