Ms. Ramsey's PreCalculus Syllabus
Textbook: An online textbook will be available to each student. Login information will be available on Ms. Ramsey’s website.
Course Materials: Each student is expected to have the following with them in class every single day.
- Pencil, Pen, and Highlighter
- Charged Laptop
- Folder or binder for storing notes, loose-leaf paper, and graph paper
- Graphing calculator strongly recommended. TI 83 or 84 will be sufficient. Texas Instrument (TI) calculators are by far the most user-friendly. I will not have calculators available in class.
Grading Practices: Grades are calculated based on the following weighted percentages.
- 90% Assessments
- 10% Assignments
Letter grades are earned based on the following scores.
90 – 100 A 80 – 89 B 70 – 79 C 60 – 69 D 0 – 59 F
The majority of our assignments will be completed online via MyMathLab. They will be scored on accuracy, however, you will have multiple attempts to complete the assignment with your best score. Homework assignments will remain open until the day of the test. Your highest score at that time will be record. It is your responsibility to keep up on classwork. Students who do not spend time practicing and who do not do their homework are typically not successful in this course.
Make-Up & Late Work:
Make-up work due to excused absences will be accepted for full credit based on the
policy outlined in the LHS Student Handbook (work due after number of days absent + one additional day).
Late homework should not be a problem since all assignments remain available until the test. No assignments will be accepted for a unit once the test has been taken.
Retakes on anything are not permitted. This is a college level course. You are expected to be prepared.
Extra Help & Tutoring:
Ms. Ramsey is available most days before school at 7:45 and after school until 4:00.
Tutoring is also available throughout the week during Liberty Hour. See Ms. Ramsey’s
schedule below. You may elect to attend Liberty Hour, or you may be assigned. This course moves quickly, so it is extremely important that you come to tutoring early and often if you are feeling behind.
Liberty Hour Schedule
Monday: No tutoring
Tuesday: Tutoring in 507
Wednesday: Tutoring in 507 (except on Advisory days)
Thursday: No tutoring
Friday: Tutoring in 507
Student Responsibilities for Liberty Hour:
- Have a plan upon arriving at LH (What are you going to work on?)
- Use tutoring time productively (Games, social media, videos, etc. are not good uses of time)
- Check LH assignments regularly and attend all assigned tutoring sessions.
Tardy Policy: Students are expected to be in the classroom prior to the bell ringing. Tardies are only excused with a signed pass. If you are more than 10 minutes late to school for the day, you must check in with the Attendance Office before coming to class. Additionally, students are expected to remain in their seats until dismissed by the teacher. The bell starts class, and the teacher dismisses class. Students will be notified when it is appropriate to pack of their materials for the hour.
Technology Policy: Ms. Ramsey is committed to maintaining an online presence and responding to emails in a timely fashion. It is the responsibility of the student to check the course site daily for course information, assignment postings, weekly schedules, and/or handouts and other materials.
It is also expected that students
- Respect the teacher’s discretion as to when or when not to use technology
- Use proper grammar and punctuation in all email communications
- Only use laptops/cell phones/earbuds/headphones during class if directed to do so by a teacher
- Have earbuds/headphones available for daily instructional use
- Check student school email daily
Food/Drink Policy: Quiet snacks and drinks with lids are permitted, however, restrictions may be put in place due to student allergies. Sharing of food/drinks is not allowed. If messes are left behind, this privilege will be taken away.
Classroom Culture & Expectations:
- Be prepared with materials and classwork.
- Be on time (see tardy policy).
- Be responsible.
- Be respectful to classmates, teachers, yourself, and the classroom/building.
- Work BELL to BELL.
- Check grades at least once a week.
Consequences: Inappropriate behavior, missed Liberty Hour tutoring, or tardies to class will result in conferencing with students or a parent if necessary. Repeat offenders will be given detentions or office referrals if necessary.