A Lesson in Rhyming
1. Essential question
- What is a Rhyming Scheme?
- How does it work in a poem?
- Students will identify rhyming scheme in a poem
3. Mini-lesson activities
- Students are all sitting in a circle as I read aloud "Recipe for a Hippopotamus Sandwich"
- I will put the poem up on the document camera and underline each part of the rhyming scheme at the end of each poem line of the first stanza.
- Students will be broken up into groups of four to five students and find rhyming words in the poem.
- Students will each be given a stanza of the poem and told to identify the rhyming scheme
- Markers for each group
- A copy of the Poem "Recipe for a Hippopotamus Sandwich" for each group.