-Though it was originally known as "President's Park" the grounds were renamed in 1824 after the Marquis de Lafayette. Lafayette was a Frenchman who, during the Revolutionary War, fought with the Americans against the British. In honor of his loyalty and bravery, a statue of Lafayette is displayed in one of the corners of the park.
-Throughout the two centuries of its existence, Lafayette Square has served numerous purposes. It served as a soldier encampment during the War of 1812. It has also served as a racetrack, farmer's market, zoo and burial ground.
-Aside from the statue of Lafayette, the park also features a large statue of President Andrew Jackson as well as three foreign figures: the Comte de Rochambeau of France, the Baron von Steuben of Prussia and Tadeusz Kosciuska of Poland.
-Though Lafayette Square is a peaceful park, the fact that it is in such close proximity to the White House also makes it an inevitable popular place for political demonstrations.
-Besides the White House, several significant historic buildings can be found in near proximity to Lafayette Square. These include the Old Executive Office Building, the Department of the Treasury, St. John's Episcopal Church which is often referred to as the "Church of the Presidents", the Renwick Gallery and the Hay-Adams Hotel.