Classical Civilization: China
China emerged with an unusually well-integrated system in which government, philosophy, economic incentives, the family, and the individual were intended to blend into a harmonious whole.
Establishment of Political Order
- Zhou downfall caused internal conflict, isolation limited learning.
Patterns in Classical China
- Dynasties emerged, politics and culture developed, internal rebellion lead to downfall.
- Relied on alliances, had weak gov.
Developed settlements near the Yellow and Yangzi River
Downfall led to Era of Warring States
- Realized Internal conflict led to downfall of Zhou Dynasty
- Expanded South, standardized currency, taxes, brutality lead to downfall.
- expanded and traded within Mediterranean. Enforced peace and supported Confucianism.
- Bureaucrats well educated,lower and upper classes recruited,strict rule.
Religion and Culture
- Govt. used religion to maintain order
- Believed in harmonious living and respecting authority from Confucian analects and Daoism.
Economy and Society
- Wealth and social status was passed down, education valued most in society, advances in agricultural technology.