The Beginning of a New World
Empty chapter 22
- Gwen woke up to the hum of the magnetic generator, knowing she would have electricity and heat every day.
- She heard the voices of Ricky Montbank, Mr. and Ms. Curtin outside her room.
- She heard a scratching noise on the door and opened it just enough for Larry to come in.
- She put on a robe and walked out.
- Mr. Curtin told Gwen the others were upstairs.
- They were all in the greenhouse collecting food in baskets for a guy with horses who was coming at 9:00 a.m. to carry it out.
- Tom, Niki, Brock, Hector, Mr. Curitn, Ms.Curtin, Gwen and 60 or so other residents of Sage Valley rode their bikes into Marietta following the guy who collected their food.
- They started to set up stands at the gas station that had been receiving gas from a private tanker about 2 weeks ago.
- Someone said, "What if no one comes out?"
- Mr. Curtin replied saying, "They are still hurting for food and supplies".
- The residents of Marietta already realized what was going on and were coming out to help set up the stands.
- Gwen knew the world had ended but now, a new world is beginning.
What I Know
- They were putting food in baskets for a guy who is coming to collect the food with horses.
- The Whippersnapper Company is going to make Sage Valley an energy self-efficient town.
- There were many workshops such as teaching how to refit your car to ethanol, a farming program and a lot of other energy workshops.
Felt like a pioneer: Gwen felt like a pioneer because pioneers travel around with horses carrying supplies in carts. That was exactly what they were doing.
Very Happy: As she was watching the Marietta residents help, a fireball of happiness started to form growing bigger and bigger.