Design engineers research and develop ideas for new products and the systems used to make them. They also work to improve the performance and efficiency of existing products.
Some jobs that designer engineers do:
- research – using mathematical modelling to work out whether new developments and innovations would work and be cost effective
- design – turning research ideas into technical plans for prototypes using computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-assisted engineering (CAE) software
- testing – collecting and analysing data from tests on prototypes
- modifying designs and re-testing – this process can go through several stages before a product is ready for manufacture or installation
- reporting – writing or presenting regular progress reports for project managers and clients.
Designer enginners on average make about $63,992 per year. This has been calculated May 2, 2015.
Most of their time would be spent in front of a computer, working in a design or drawing office, with occasional travel to meet clients.
What they need to know in order to become get a job as a designer engineer:
Artistic; familiar with computer aided drafting and design (CADD) software programs; strong grasp of mechanical engineering concepts; able to collaborate on ideas with team members.
Machanical, civil, computer, or electrical are the tipical degrees that designer enginners have.
This is Michael Graves.
Died at age 80 on Thursday March 12, 2015
Born July 9, 1934
Created designs for buildings and objects for target like the ones seen in the picture above.He started designing at 1964. Over that time he has designed over 400 building worldwide. Among his noted works are The Portland Building in Oregon, The Humana Building in Louisville, Kentucky, the NCAA Hall of Champions in Indiana, and the Team Disney building in Burbank, California.
Some of the objects he designed are cordless electric kettle, bathtub grab bar, toaster he designed for J.C. Penney
Some tasks he did was design or model on the computer and sketch out ideas of different objects to innovate or design.