Christmas in the Netherlands
By: Promise, Mercedes, Malaya, DK, Juwan, Jamoius
Santa clause arrives on Christmas on a white horse or sometimes even a boat , and he gives out gifts on December 6th instead of December 25th, he also has a person that accompanies him on his journey named black peter meaning (Santé Piet) he uses a birth rod to punish children who have been bad throughout the year, in expectation for St nick children leave there wooden shoes filled with hay and a carrot, if they were good throughout the year they will wake up to find small, toys nuts and candy in there shoes, sometimes St nick will even visit the house and question the children on there behavior for the past year.
· 4 teaspoons sugar
· 1/2 cup lukewarm water
· 12 cups flour
· 2 teaspoons nutmeg
· 2 teaspoons salt
· 4 cups scalded low fat milk
· 2 cups shortening
· 3 cups sugar
· 4 eggs
· 2 cups raisins
· 2 cups currants
· 1 cup blanched almonds
· 1 cup chopped citron
· 3 teaspoons lemon extract-
Prep:· Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Cover and let rise. Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs and scalded milk that has been cooled to lukewarm. Alternate with flour which has been sifted with salt and nutmeg. Add yeast mixture. Knead until smooth and add fruits and flavoring. Cover and let dough rise to double its size. Knead dough again. Shape dough into robes about 1 1/2 inch in diameter.
· For each large Christmas bread make one rope three feet long and two that are two and one half feet long. Braid the dough. Bring the braid to a point at either end. Place the braided dough on a large greased cookie sheet. Repeat the process until you have made 4 large breads. Bake in 375ºF oven for about 25 minutes, or until light brown - See more at: http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Kerstmis-Brood---Christmas-Bread
· 1 3/4 cups self-rising flour (200 g)
- 1/2 cup donkerbruine basterdsuiker (see Tips) or pure cane sugar (demerera) (100 g)
- 7 tbsp butter (100 g)
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 4 tsp speculaaskruiden (or pumpkin pie spice)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- The finely grated zest of half an orange
- 1 egg white, beaten
· Mix together all the ingredients in a large bowl and knead (you may use a mixer with a dough hook attachment). You should be able to shape the dough into a ball without it sticking to your hands. Cover the dough ball with plastic wrap and set aside for an hour. This allows the spices to work their magic.
· Preheat the oven to 347 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Grease a cookie sheet.
· Wet your hands and roll little marble-sized balls of dough (of approx. 1/2 inch/12 mm). Place dough balls on the cookie sheet. Using your thumb, gently press down on each cookie to flatten slightly. Brush with egg white. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the cookies puff up and turn a slightly darker shade of brown. Allow to cool.
· Makes about 100 kruidnoten.
Saint Nicholas, my dear one
In Netherlands , they talk about Santa Claus throughout the year. On December 5th children put there shoes outside by the door for Sinterklaas's to put presents in. They leave carrots or hay for the horse to eat.
It gets really cold around christmas time, On christmas it gets around between 5-10 degrees and the lowest is about 6 degrees. It gets mostly rainy when it get low degrees. The temperature in Netherlands always get cold so fast around christmas time.
Netherlands celebrate the birth of Jesus. They are mostly Catholics. The people love can get along real well. There activities are almost the same as the Untied States, but they just play them in different type of ways. The most activity they do is drawing or something dealing with art, which they enjoy doing.
The Dutch are the world experts on keeping the water from the sea and rivers turning Netherlands into an Atlantis and getting messed up. The US government turned to the Dutch for help during the hurricane during Katrina disaster because they needed help.
The Dutch is the tallest in the World, with the average of 180cm for men, and 170 for the women.Some believe its the combined result of DNA and dairy.
. AccuWeather.com. AccuWeather , n.d. Web. 19 Dec 2013. <http://www.accuweather.com/en/nl/netherlands-weather>.
"religion and exreseeive culture - DUtch." countries and their cultures . Advameg, n.d. Web. 19 Dec 2013. <http://www.everyculture.com/Europe/Dutch-Religion-and-Expressive-Culture.html>.
"Holiday Traditions | Netherlands." Netherlands. Museum If Science And Industry, n.d. Web. 19 Dec 2013. <http://www.msichicago.org/scrapbook/scrapbook_exhibits/catw2004/traditions/countries/netherlands.html>.
"Discovering the truth about santa claus." St. Nicholas Center . St. Nicholas Center, n.d. Web. 19 Dec 2013. <http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/who-is-st-nicholas/>.
"60 interesting facts about the netherlands - netherlands." weekend notes . Topic Media , n.d. Web. 19 Dec 2013. <http://www.weekendnotes.com/interesting-facts-about-netherlands/>.