Center of FRUITerest
This is an activity of two students of the first year on the Group 1 of Primary Education. Blanca Puche Payá and Esmeralda Martínez. Teacher: Linda Castañeda.
Creating: designing, constructing, publishing.
Evaluating: blog, posting, commenting.
Analysing: integrating, organising, finding.
Applying: sharing, uploading.
Remembering: finding, searching, googling.
The activity is for students of 11-12 years old in the sixth course of Primary Education.
The subjects we are going to teach are mathematics, natural science and spoken and written language.
Animoby, bilingual, Blogger, center of interest, fractions, Fruits, journalist, Technological activity, Thinglink, vitamins, volume.
In a class of 25 students, we will separate them in 5 groups of 5 people in natural science and in mathematics they are going to be in couples and one group in a trio.
With Animoby app, the students will learn to calculate fractions using portions of fruit and in other session, the volume of an orange in pairs.
With Thinglink in science class, children have to search on Google the characteristics of the fruit that the teacher has allocated them using as a support a picture find in Flickr App. Through the use of Thinglink App, they have to introduce what they have learnt to the entire class. This will happen with every group.
Later, the students have to use Blogger to make a general reflection about what they have learned. During the whole week they have to act as journalist. They have to collect all the information required in each activity. In the class blog, they can see and comment the works of the other groups.
1. Communication and language competence:
-Argue in situations of oral communication using appropriate language according to the content, contexts and interlocutors.
-Read with a critical sense identifying important ideas and data which allow students to amplify and go in depth on their knowledge.
- Produce texts of different genres using them as a medium for expressing their ideas and adapting them to their personal, scholary and socio cultural requirements.
-Production of supporting texts including data collected from sources of information for the realization of activities and learning tasks.
2. Mathematical competence:
- Produce information about the utilization of geometric shapes, symbols, signs and signals of natural, social and cultural phenomenon on their regions.
- Calculate the area and perimeter on different polygons and circles.
- - Calculate the volume of the sphere.
- Make arithmetic calculations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, division with fractions.
- Simplify fractions to lowest terms.
- Calculation of combined addition and subtraction of fractions with different denominators operations.
- Identify relationships between natural numbers.
- Calculate the lowest common multiple and the greatest common divisor of two or three numbers using prime factorization.
- - Apply the adequate knowledge and technologies of the culture and other cultures in order to motivate the personal, familiar and community development.
3. Natural Science and Technology competence:
-Foster the adequate conditions for consuming a varied diet which facilitate a healthy life.
- Describe the nutrient’s functions.
- - Classify the nutrients contained in food.
- -Illustrate the principal nutrients: proteins, fat, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals.
- - Description of the benefits of the amount and regularity of consuming: fruits.
- - Experiment using technology during the process of investigation.
- Use the information retrieved from observation for predicting possible outcomes.
- - Categorization of the big moments of the investigation: observation, hypothesis, experimentation and conclusion.
- - Use of technology during the investigation.
- Use the experimentation for checking the previous predictions.
- - Explaining natural phenomenon from knowledge and from the scientific investigation.
4. Civic formation competence:
-Participate in social relations which favor the needed responsibilities for a peaceful national and international context.
- Express solidarity in the scholar, familiar and community context.
Identify the quality of social relations in a context of diversity.
Apps or tools:
Tutorial of Animoby:
Tutorial of Thinglink:
Tutorial of Blogger:
Tutorial of Flickr:
- 25 students.
- 12 mobiles (one by pair/trio).
- 3 laptops (for searching information).
- 1 projector.
- Wi-Fi connection.
- Learn how to use these applications with tutorials.
- Language’s list of vocabulary.
- Making photos as journalist.
We are going to work with fractions. Simplify the results if it is possible.
You are given two kiwis. You have to divide each of them in five pieces. In the first one you select two parts, in the second you have to select three parts how much portions do you have?
You are given three coconuts. The first is divided in four portions and you take one, the second in five portions and you take three, and the third one in four portions and you take two. Can you express in fractions the result?
You are given two mangos; the first one is divided into three portions, and the second one in two portions. You select one portion of each mango. Express the coloured portions in fractions and multiply them.
- 4. You have two apples divided into five portions; you select three portions of the first apple and four portions of the second one. Express it in fractions and substrate them.
From this done exercise, write the correspondent wording, so that the solution makes sense.
Answer: If you have an orange of four centimetres of radius, what is the volume of the orange, if we know that it is a sphere?
- Natural Science:
You have to search on Google the vitamins, benefits and characteristics of: Group 1 à pineapple. Group 2 à kiwi. Group 3 à grapefruit. Group 4 à cherry. Group 5 à coconut. You have to find a picture in Flickr App with Creative Common License of the fruit of your group. Then, upload it to Thinglink App. After doing the research of the different vitamins and characteristics, you must label the results of the research, videos and links of interesting web pages around the picture of their correspond fruit. Finally, you have to present your fruits to the entire class using the picture that you have composed as a support of your explanation.
As global evaluation of the center of interest, the students, with Blogger App have to make a general reflection about what they have learned during the activities. With this application, the students show photos about the process and presentations of other groups and reflections about what they have learnt acting as a journalist. Here, they can comment the posts of other groups.
This is our final result of our blog: http://centeroffruiterest.blogspot.com.es/
You have to use, at least 10 words of this list of vocabulary:
Here, we are going to put all the links that we have used while we were doing this activity: