Week of: 3/16/15
Miss Collins Classroom News
Late Start Monday’s (school begins @ 9:05am)
- March 16, 23, 30
- April 13, 20, 27
- 3/17: Leprechaun Visit / Irish Dancers Assembly
- 3/18: “Get Caught Reading” phone calls (6:30-7pm)
- 3/20: Report cards distributed & Read a T-shirt/ Hat Day
- 3/23: Scholastic Book Fair preview (open @ conferences)
- 3/25: Evening conferences (see below)
- 3/26: No School (All Day Conferences)
- 3/27: Doug Scheer Magic Bookshelf Assembly
- 3/31: Beach Party Read-In: B.Y.O towel, books, sunglasses to read in the gym
- 4/3-4/10: Spring Break
- sight words: pretty, good, ran, let, every
- word family: -ice
*Spelling test on sight words every Friday*
Students continue to work on reading non-fiction texts during their independent reading time. We are starting our “All About” unit on frogs and toads. Students will read the series Frog and Toad Are Friends (fiction) and have a Literature Log (comprehension activities) that follows the different chapters within the book. The students will also research information about frogs and toads using non-fiction books. This a fun unit that gets us ready for spring!
We have been practicing our All About writing by using graphic organizers after reading from non-fiction articles about penguins. Students have enjoyed getting to know more about the different types of penguins and have practiced the process of “going back to the text” or “G.B.3.T”. This is a great habit to form as these practices are continued in the upper grades. We will begin more Frog and Toad writing over the next month.
We wrote thank you notes to Mr. Yee and Ms. Nancy for their generosity and fun field trip! Thanks again to all the parents who helped make this field trip a success. I have seen many pictures and it looks like a lot of fun was had by all :)
Science: We continue to focus on studying solids and liquids.
- Miss Collins will be gone Thursday & Friday (3/19 & 3/20): I will be attending the MACUL conference for technology and 21st century learning. This is a full two day conference in Detroit and will have Mrs. Konczal subbing for these two days. Please send time sensitive issues (like early dismissal or dismissal changes) to the office.