NC Museum of Art
Invites NRMPS Teachers to the Educator Expo
"Identity in Focus"
Thursday, April 3, 2014
4:30 pm - 8:00 pm (Free Event)
Imperial Center- Rocky Mount, NC
Discover the resources the NCMA offers to support the work you do, and leave with fresh ideas, renewed inspiration, lesson plans to try, and take-home gifts. Speakers and workshop sessions focus on the concept of identity, exploring how ideas of self, community, and the world relate to all subject areas through art. North Carolina artist Beverly McIver will present her work and answer questions from the audience. Hors d’oeuvres and wine provided.
Registration required; limited to 250 K–12 educators of all subjects. For more information contact Kristin Smith, email@example.com.
Registration Link: Register via Eventbrite
To complete registration you must choose a 1st and 2nd choice for your Breakout Session. These sessions are 1 hour and occur near the end of the evening. The following are short descriptions of the offerings.
- Making Connections Across Subjects Explore ArtNC's concept mapping tool using works of art from the NCMA collection that explore the concept of Identity.
- Object-Based Discussion Strategies Visit the Imperial Centre's Art Galleries and learn easy strategies to lead discussions about works of art in your classroom.
- Hands-On Identity Learn strategies for using journals and sketchbooks across content areas that challenge students to explore their ideas about identity.
- Selfies The word "selfie" made it to NPR's word of the year list for 2013. Explore how the "selfie" might provide an opportunity for students to understand and redefine identity. Tablets will be on loan during the session.
- Meet the Movers and Shakers
Who is bringing about change in Rocky Mount? Who is providing opportunities for young people to get involved and see their potential? Meet leaders in the community that are helping to shape the identity of our students. Learn about their programs, their impact and what they've learned from working with the youth of Rocky Mount.
- Project Share
How are other educators exploring the concept of identity in their classrooms? Educators across content areas and grade levels will share projects they've done with students that explore the concept of identity.
Durham Artist is the Visiting Speaker
To learn more about Beverly, click here http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/09/garden/at-home-w...