Calorimeter 4Ua

Tara, Danielle, & Ridawg

Our first calorimeter included a pop can, pink insulation, aluminum foil around the the insulation, a metal exterior with aluminum foil around it, and sticky tack to seal the holes at the top of the metal exterior.

The first change we decided to make was to remove the aluminum foil that was around the pop can because we thought that the aluminum foil would reflect the heat away from the can and stay within the space between the can and the metal exterior rather than into the can itself to heat the water.

The second change we decided to make was to change the top seal from sticky tack to Styrofoam because we knew that Styrofoam was a really good insulator and thought that it may make a better seal to keep the heat in over the sticky tack.

What we found with the first change was that the heat increased by 3 degrees compared to the initial test. (the number is less on the graph, but it started at a lower temperature than the first test)

The significance of our findings is that the removal of the aluminum foil did make a small change by causing the 3 degree increase.

What we found with the second change is that the heat increased by 4.9 degrees compared to the first change graph.

The significance of our findings is that changing the sticky tack to Styrofoam did make a difference by increasing the temperature by almost 5 degrees.

If we were to continue on with this experiment we would change the insulation around the can to a different insulator, such as spray foam, to see if it would hold the heat in better than the pink insulation.

Comment Stream