The Sister Ann Harvey Award for Action Research
To recognize educators and education students who engage in outstanding action research projects.
The Sister Ann Harvey Award was created to honor the work of Sister Ann Harvey, CSJ. Sister Ann Harvey came to St. Catherine in 1926. She received her master's degree in early childhood education from Columbia University. Sister Ann was a professor of education at St. Catherine's and served as a beloved mentor to countless students. In 1955, Sister Ann traveled to Italy to study the Montessori method with Dr. Maria Montessori. Sister Ann's expertise in the area of early childhood education was widely known and respected. She worked closely with the Minnesota Department of Education to help the state develop criteria for early childhood licensure.
Sister Ann died in 1980 but her ideals of loving care for children and excellence in teaching remain the ideals of the St. Catherine University Education Department, our early childhood center and our Montessori teacher preparation program.
The recipient of the Sister Ann Harvey Action Research Award will receive an engraved plaque and a cash award of $500.
Criteria for Selection
This is a self-nominated process. Individuals or teams that feel they meet the selection criteria can apply for consideration. The following criteria for selection should be addressed in the application materials submitted.
1. Action Research was completed during the calendar year of notification.
2. Study was undertaken by an individual or a team.
3. The need for the study is clearly presented as it relates to improving learning and teaching.
4. Research was designed to effectively address the question under investigation.
5. Data was collected and analyzed appropriately.
6. Importance of the findings and recommendation for the improvement of learning and teaching are stated and supported.
7. Research summary provided is complete and relevant to the inquiry.
8. Writing is of graduate quality and follows APA style requirements.
1. Cover Letter - Write a succinct cover letter that describes why you think your Action Research project should be considered for this award. Include a brief overview of essential facts related to relevant learning and teaching, how you addressed the question and the importance of your findings. The letter should be addressed to the Sister Ann Harvey Action Research Award Committee.
2. Complete the Application Form.
3. Send your Action Research advisor the recommendation form after completing parts A and B. (If you need an electronic copy, please contact Julie Salmen.)
4. Mail the cover letter, the application, and an unbound copy of your research project to Julie Salmen, St. Catherine University, 2004 Randolph Ave. F-13, St. Paul, MN 55105.
5. Inform your advisor when you have completed your application materials so he/she can give the completed recommendation to Julie.
All applications will be read by a team of evaluators using a blind review process. Contact Julie Salmen, firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-690-8732 with questions.
January 23, 2017.