George S. Patton
Biography Project for Mrs.Hemry
By: Sarah T.
George Patton was born on November 11, 1885 in San Gabriel, California and died December 11, 1945 in Heidelberg, Germany.
Events in History that Affected George's Life
- Mexican Revolution
- World War I
- World War II
George Patton's Childhood
"When I was a little boy at home I used to wear a wooden sword and say to myself: "George S. Patton, Jr., Lieutenant General."456 -Patton
As a newborn George was ill, the nurse that cared for him became worried that the unhealthy child would die. So she secretly baptized him for fear that he would die and would enter heaven unchristian. Shortly after the newborn recovered. When George grew up he became fond of his aunt, Nannie Wilson, who was strong-willed and tried the patience of George's parents. Mostly because of her refusal to punish Georgie, her beloved "son". When George turned sixteen Nannie gave him a gold ring shaped like a coiled snake, with eyes made from ruby chips, and he wore that ring on the third finger of his left hand for the rest of his life.
People Who Influenced George's Life
- Beatrice Patton (George's Wife)- Gave him the courage to keep fighting.
- George Patton ( Georges Grandfather also he was a colonel)- Inspired him to become a war hero.
- Nannie Wilson ( George's Aunt)- Practically raised him.
- Patton had a colorful image, hard-driving personality and was a successful commander, but was overshadowed at times by his controversial public statements.
- Patton was in both WWI and WWII and survived both wars.
- Even though Patton was in both World Wars he is known for his work in WWII.
- When Patton became a general in WWII, he led the Third Army.
- Nicknamed Old Blood 'n' Guts.
- Carried Pistols with ivory Handles.
- Patton developed a flashy image and routinely wore a highly polished helmet, cavalry pants, boots and a pair of ivory-handled pistols.
- The Germans held great respect for Patton than any other allied commander, but the Germans also held a great fear for him, knowing that he would knock anyone down in his path.
- General George S. Patton's Third Army killed 136,500 Germans, with only an army of 18,239 men and with 1,930 causalities.
- One day , after the war, Patton was going pheasant hunting but when his driver took his eyes off the road, he crashed. The driver was fine but Patton was paralyzed from the neck down. He spent 12 days in the hospital until he died in his sleep on December 21,1945.
- Killed a bandit leader in Mexican Revolution.
- Survived both World Wars.
- Saved the U.S. troops being held in the city of Bastogne in just two days.
- His Third Army conquered 81,522 square miles of enemy territory.
- Won Battle of the Bulge with his Third Army.
Theme of General George Patton's Life...
Want I've learned from reading about Patton is that nothing is impossible, even though others might tell you that it can never be done, what you have to do is turn around and say "Watch me!".
George Patton's Words of Advice and What They Have Taught Me...
- "Don't die for your country, make the other poor guy die for his." -Patton
- "Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -Patton
- "If I win I can't be stopped! If I lose I shall be dead" 491 -Patton
Patton's words taught me never to give up no matter the circumstance. Even though I won't be in a war anytime soon, his quotes and sayings made me realize that you need to know what you're fighting for rather than just mindlessly following someone. I hope I don't forget what I've learned from reading about George Patton, because to fulfill my dream of becoming an architect it takes lots of hard work and I want to remember to keep on going, no matter the challenge I face.
- George S. Patton Quotes. Digital image. Success. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Mar. 2015. http://successimg.com/general-george-s-patton-quotes/.
- "George S. Patton - Top 10 Quotes." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 07 Mar. 2015. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97cR-Iy9BFE.
- "George S Patton- Battle of the Bulge." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 08 Mar. 2015. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfWJEeyESLA.
- "American Four Star General George S. Patton Jr, Commander of Us 3rd Army, in Uniform and Helmet Premium Photographic Print at AllPosters.com." Allposters.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 7 Mar. 2015. http://www.allposters.com/-sp/American-Four-Star-General-George-S-Patton-Jr-Commander-of-Us-3rd-Army-in-Uniform-and-Helmet-Posters_i3829275_.htm.
- "If Everyone's Thinking Alike, Then Someone Isn't Thinking - George S. Patton." If Everyone's Thinking Alike, Then Someone Isn't Thinking - George S. Patton. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Mar. 2015. http://indulgy.com/post/vaWok44SF2/if-everyones-thinking-alike-then-someone-isn.
- "Patton Speech." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 08 Mar. 2015. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYjnWXFTQkM.
- D'Este, Carlo. Patton: A Genius for War. New York: HarperCollins, 1995. Print.