Visa Security Sense: Get Help Now

Lost or Stolen Card

If your card is lost or stolen, call your issuer – the bank that issued your card – as soon as possible.

Keep an eye on your statements and look for any suspicious activity. Report them to your issuer.

If you need further help, call Visa Global Customer Assistance Services toll-free within the United States at 1-800-847-2911 or call 1-410-581-9994. From outside the U.S., please click here for a full listing of local numbers.

Data Compromises

If you received a letter from a merchant or other business that your card information may have been stolen or accessed from their systems by a hacker or criminal, keep in mind that most stolen data is never actually used for fraudulent charges.

Issuers and Visa monitor transactions for fraud and work to decline them before they happen.

Visa’s zero liability policy protects cardholders if fraudulent Visa transactions do occur.

Keep an eye on your statements and look for any suspicious activity. Report them to your issuer.

Identity Theft

If you believe you may be a victim of identity theft where someone has opened an account or obtained credit in your name, contact Call for Action at 1-866-ID-HOTLINE or visit for free confidential assistance.

Here are some steps to help restore your identity:

Minimize impact. Contact each of the three credit agencies (;; to place a fraud alert on your credit report.

Contact local police. File a police report for every locale where the fraud has occurred.

Contact creditors on fraudulent accounts. If new accounts have been opened in your name, you'll need to contact each creditor by phone and in writing.

Contact existing creditors. Contact your financial institution immediately.

Deceptive Marketing Practices

If you discover charges on your card statement that you don’t remember authorizing, you may have been a victim of deceptive marketing practices.

Try to resolve the issue with the merchant directly.

If you’re not able to get help from the merchant, contact your issuer to dispute the charge.

Report your experience to the Federal Trade Commission at or Better Business Bureau at