what is Identity Theft?
- The fraudulent acquisition and use of a person's private identifying information, usually for financial gain.
How to avoid identity theft.
1. Choose words and numbers that no one would be able to guess even if they were privy to other parts of your personal information.
2. Don't use the same password for all of your accounts. Vary the passwords from account to account.
3. If you get an e-mail claiming to be from your bank that tells you to check or update your information such as a password (for any reason), do not use the link in the e-mail, even if the e-mail letterhead/background looks like it came from your bank.
What do you do if your identity gets stolen?
1. File a report of the crime with your local police department. Provide as much evidence as you can, and ask the officer to list all fraudulently accessed accounts that you know about on the police report.