Genetics: Down Syndrome
a change or mutation of someones DNA
1. What is it? Down Syndrome is a disorder caused by the chromosomes, it can cause physical defects and intellectual defects.
2. What causes it? Down Syndrome is caused when there is an extra copy of chromosome 21.
3. How is the affected individual's life impacted by the disease? some people with down syndrome live normal happy lives, the only thing different is that some people with down syndrome require different learning ways or do things differently. but down syndrome can cause heart defects, vision problems and hearing loss.
4. Is it curable or treatable and how? There is no cure for down syndrome.
Environmental: Lung Cancer
a disease that is caused by where someone lives or caused by their surroundings.
1. What is it? lung cancer is cancer in the lungs.
2. What causes it? smoking, air pollution
3. How is the affected individual'S life impacted by the disease? lung cancer is life threatening, the person with the disease will have to undergo treatment if they want to live.
4. Is it curable or treatable and HOW? yes it is curable by surgery, radiation and chemotherapy.
Lifestyle Choices: Obesity
diseases or disorders caused by how someone lives.
1. What is it? a person that is overweight
2. What causes it? mostly it's caused by people's eating habits but some cases are caused by eating disorders or there is something wrong with the way a person's body takes nutrients.
3. How is the affected individual's life impacted by the disease? in extreme cases the person suffering cannot move, walk around and do normal things normal sized people do. but obesity can cause heart problems and many other health problems that could be life threatening.
4. Is it curable or treatable and HOW? People with obesity and go through surgery to get the extra fat removed or others can diet and exersize to get the weight off.