Qin Shihuangdi, a Qin dynasty ruler, was China’s first emperor. The Qin dynasty lasted only about fourteen years.The Han dynasty arose during a period of unrest. The Chinese people were unhappy with the harsh, Legalist rule of the Qin. After the first emperor’s death, they rebelled against the Qin.
The one thing that the Han Dynasty did good was make weapons. They made crossbows and swords. Weapons helped expand their dynasty.
Han emperors needed many government officials to help run the vast empire. The government of China during this time functioned as a bureaucracy. A bureaucracy is a large organization that operates using a fixed set of rules and conditions.
The Han farmers were expected to grow enough food for themselves and their family. They were expected to build their own homes, make their own clothes, and do one unpaid shift of labor for the government. One thing that helped farmers was the chain pump.
In the Han Dynasty the paper was made of silk because silk was easy to role and also make. They also wrote on bamboo strips. Paper was made of many materials like silk fibers, hemp, bamboo, straw, and seaweed.
- one technique developed by chinese healers for this purpose was acupuncture
- acupuncture are thin needles are inserted into parts of the body
- this process is thought to rebalance the forces of yin and yang
- another healing technique was moxibustion
- a moxa-a small cone of powdered leaves or sticks-is placed on or near the skin and burned
- it is used to treat long-term diseases, such as arthritis
They made paper out of bamboo and silk. One of the key advances of the Han dynasty was the invention of paper. Some tools used were ink and paint brushes.
- they founded comets, solar eclipses, and how the moon shines
- they also invented the seismograph and the magnetic compass
- a seismograph is an instrument for detecting earthquakes
- the magnetic compass is an instrument for determining direction