10 Social Media Marketing Tips for Small Business
Social media marketing allows small business owners to do what they do best – engage with customers and forge strong personal connections – on a much larger scale than was ever before possible. Social media marketing for small businesses is easier and less time-consuming than you might think; after a little bit of prep work establishing your presence, you could easily have an effective social media marketing program that takes less than an hour a day to maintain. If you haven’t tried social media marketing yet, we’ve made it easy for you – just follow these 10 Social Media Marketing Tips for Small Businesses, and you’ll be a social media marketing success in no time!
- Choose a relevant username
The first step is choosing the username your small business will use for social media marketing. Start with and find a username that meshes with your company’s domain name, resonates with your company goals, is simple to spell, and easy to remember. It’s important to maintain a consistent presence across all the social media platforms, so once you have some names you like, use a free name checking service like nameck to verify that your chosen name is available across the main platforms.
- Claim your name and establish a presenceOnce you find the perfect username, register it across the major social media platforms. Even if you’re not planning to maintain an active presence for your small business on all the social media platforms, you should claim your username on them all. This will help ensure that you and you alone will be in control of the public perception of your company.
- Decide which social media platforms you will focus onInstead of spreading yourself thin trying to establish a presence on too many social media platforms, choose three or four that are particularly relevant to your brand. The most popular ones are Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Instagram; spend some time familiarizing yourself with each before making your decision.
- Use visual posting to build interestOne of the benefits of using social media to market your small business is it allows you to showcase your business through visual content. Add videos and photos to your postings to engage visitors’ attention and build interest. Try a variety of types to find what gets the best response, such as how-to videos explaining how to use your products and “unboxing videos”. Encourage visitors to contribute their photos with contests and promotions.
- Link to your website and blogOne of the goals of social media marketing is to direct visitors to your website and blog, where you can convert casual visitors into actionable leads. Share your blog topics on Facebook and Twitter, and include links and sharing buttons on your website.
- Remember to keep the social in social media marketingSocial media marketing is about building relationships, not sales - any sign of overtly promotional messages and your followers and fan base will instantly dry up. Instead, share the knowledge you have gained from operating your small business and concentrate on engaging your customers and developing strong relationships with them.
- Set up a social media posting calendarStudies have shown that you need to establish a consistent presence on social media in order to build a customer following. Don’t try to rely on your memory; instead, set up a social media posting calendar outlining what you need to post and when (for best results, include your blog postings as well).
- Use a social media monitoring programThere are many social media monitoring programs available that will allow you to write all your posts, tweets, etc. and upload them at once; the program then posts them at optimal times during the day. Once you get used to this routine, you should be able to complete an entire day’s worth of social media marketing in less than an hour.
- Respond quickly to customersThink of social media marketing as a conversation; your customers expect you to hold up your end and respond quickly to comments, requests, and complaints. Google Alerts and alarms within the social media platforms to notify you of customer input, and have a staff answer within an hour.
- Use paid social media adsSocial media has turned into a “pay to play” arena where paid ads are the best way to get your small business social media marketing strategies Allot a percentage of your digital advertising budget for Facebook Ads and Sponsored Stories, and Twitter Ads to promote your company.
If you would like help implementing these social media marketing ideas for your small business, you can turn to Blue Interactive Agency . Our marketing team can provide you with a full range of social media marketing support, from establishing your initial presence to professional social media content creation services that include content writing, video production, and more.
Contact us at Blue Interactive Agency today at 954-779-2801 for more information on applying the latest social media marketing strategies to ensure the ongoing success of your small business!