I will be using vocabulary squares to represent vocabulary words and their meaning to show understanding of them.
Definition: made of clear, brilliant glass
Sentence: The lake was clear like crystal.
Definition: tough and strong
Sentence: The man carried the boulder with his sinewy hands.
Definition: Strong and muscular
Sentence: The man moved the furniture with his brawny hands.
Sentence: The parson's wife was going to the dinner party at the squire's.
Definition: Shaped by hammering
Sentence: The sculpture was impressively wrought.
Definition: upper legs and hips of an animal
Sentence: My dog sat on his haunches when I said "sit!"
1. Would a dog sit on his haunches if it were running?
No because if it's running, it would have to be moving its haunches.
2. Would you expect a weight lifter to be brawny?
Yes because brawny means strong.
3. Who would you expect to have sinewy hands?
I would expect a piano player to have sinewy hands because their hands and fingers would be well-trained.
4. If a glass is made of crystal, is it breakable?
Yes because you can break it with a high enough pitch.
5. Would a parson likely be found in a church?
Yes because a parson is a minister.
6. If something is wrought, was it made by hammering?
Yes because wrought means it was shaped by a hammer.