4 Must-try Holiday Cocktails
Spread the cheer (and alcohol) with these divine drinks
Candy Cane Martinis
A holiday staple doubles as a tasty liquid treat
- 1 shot vanilla rum
- 1 shot white chocolate liqueur (recommended: Godiva)
- 1 shot peppermint schnapps
- Candy cane, garnish
Add all liquid ingredients to cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well and strain into martini glass. Garnish with candy cane.
Delicious Hot Buttered Rum
Warm, filling and perfect for a cold, winter night
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 4 oz. hot milk (use hot water for a lighter texture)
- 2 oz. dark rum (l prefer Myers's for its richness)
- 1 Tbs. butter (not margarine)
- Ground nutmeg
Prepare your drinking mug by warming it up. Make sure you're using a heat-resistant mug. Pour piping hot water into it and cover with a small plate. Once warmed, empty the hot water and add brown sugar and hot milk (or fresh, hot water if you prefer). Stir until the sugar dissolves and then add rum. Gently float the butter atop the drink and sprinkle some nutmeg over that.
Vanilla Dark and Stormy
On the rocks with one of our favorites: ginger beer
Combine 2 cups dark rum with 3 cups ginger beer (not ginger ale), the juice of 4 limes and a tiny splash of vanilla extract in a pitcher. Serve on the rocks with lime wedges.
Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Schnapps
A chocolate-ty delight with a hint of mint
- 1 quart milk (skim, 2 percent or whole) or half-and-half
- 6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped (recommended: Scharffenberger)
- 9 ounces peppermint schnapps
- Whipped cream, for serving
- 6 peppermint sticks, for serving
Heat 1 cup of the milk in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add chocolate, stirring constantly, until melted. When the chocolate has melted, increase heat to medium and add the remainder of the milk while whisking rapidly. Do not allow to boil.
Serve in small cups fortified with a jigger (1 1/2 ounces) of peppermint schnapps and a dollop of whipped cream. Add a peppermint stick to stir.
If transporting in a thermos, heat thermos up with hot water to get it warm for 1 minute. Pour water out and fill with hot chocolate.