Horizon Basics for New ILS
- Log in
- Check in (CKI)/Check out (CKO)
- Adding Patrons
- Patron History
- Fines and lost/damaged book payments
- Clear fines/lost & damaged books
- Place and fill holds--ILL & red bags
- Search for items in Horizon and HIP
Login to Horizon Using Citrix Receiver
If everything goes well, you should expect to see this. . .
However, you may get an additional login screen. Remember
is your friend!
Check in (CKI) and Check out (CKO)
Checking In Materials
- Each item has a barcode specific for the item.
- Most items will scan without “exceptions.”
- Listen carefully for the “exceptions.”
- Turn the volume all the way up on your circulation computer. The beeping is hard to hear!
Checking Out Materials
- Every student has a 6 digit number (lunch number) that is used to check out books.
- Patrons may use a physical library card, scan their student id, or type in their lunch number.
- You can search for a student’s name by using the function key, F4.
- If still not there, write down the student’s name, teacher, and the barcodes of the books the student is wanting to borrow. Enter into computer at a later time. (A notebooks is helpful for this!)
- We do not have checkout limits. All students should have access to books.
- Watch and listen for exceptions.
Adding a Patron
See handout: Adding Staff Members as Borrowers in Horizon
F5 will create a new record and allow you to fill in the patron's information.
F6 will allow you to edit a current patron's record.
- F4 to find a patron.
- Click on Blocks.
- Pull down Blocks--->>Show History
Paying Fines/Lost Books
See document: Paying for Lost Books
- Use F4 to find a patron's record.
- Click on the CKO button at the bottom. You may have to click on Override.
- Click on All Items Out.
- This will bring up a list of all items the student has out.
- Click on Blocks to see which items are overdue, lost or have fines.
Different Types of Holds
- Bib Hold
- The patron requested a specific title, but doesn’t have a preference where the item is located. Any of the items under that specific record will do. These items are not barcode specific.
- Item Hold
- The patron wants a very specific item that belongs with a specific barcode. If the book is an “item hold”, you must look at the barcode when pulling the book.
- When an item is checked in and shows that it needs to go to another campus, a “In Transit Slip” is generated.
- Fold this slip to fit in the outside pocket of a red bag. Highlight the name of the school you are sending it to.
- Place the item being sent in the bag.
- Red bags are placed in the red bin in the front office.
- Learn your driver’s schedule and check the bin daily.
- Show your driver your appreciation once in a while.
Searching for Items in Horizon and HIP
Searching in Horizon
- F2 to search by barcode, title, author, keywords, subject or ISBN.
- Type in search term and click ok.
- Video: How to Search in Horizon.
Searching in HIP
- Access from website--aldineisd.org
- Go to Parents/Students-->>Student Resources-->>My Library.
- Video: How to Search in HIP.