time period: 600 a.d. ~ past 1300 a.d.
how it spread.
- origins: out of Mecca, east to India, west across North Africa, and on into Spain
- growth: to spread Islam to other people
- military conquest: took about 100 years to expand most of their empire because they were great fighters and believed that they would go directly to heaven - they treated conquered people fairly
- Battle of Tours: in southern France (732 A.D.) the French Christians, led by Charles Martel, defeated the Muslims and stopped their advance into Europe
(700-900 A.D.) a time of great learning and cultural diffusion
contributions to our society.
- mathematics: spread Gupta math ideas, created algebra and trig
- medicine: created hospitals, wrote medical textbooks, doctors were required to pass exams to practice medicine
- architecture: influenced by Byzantine and Indian styles
- astronomy: learned from Greek ideas, study of the sars, created astronomical tables
- Islamic Law: based on Islamic relgious laws in the Qur'an, became the basis for politcal laws in the empire
- banking: used money, allowed credit (money borrowing) to be used
preserved greek and roman culture.
- preserved Roman and Greek ideas that they got from their contacts with the Byzantine Empir
- they imporved upon them (ex. translated Roman writing)