The Human Heart
By. Shameila J. Jones
Why Do We Need It?
Without a heart we would not be able to live. But still, isn't it amazing that if you are shot in the heart (which it stops immediately), that your brain and other organs still continue to function . The heart pumps the amount of blood that is needed through our body to all parts. The heart is the main reason our body and other organs function.
What Is It's Size?
It is 5 inches (12 cm) long, 3.5 inches (8-9 cm) wide and 2.5 inches (6 cm) from front to back, and is roughly the size of your fist. The average weight of a female human heart is 9 ounces 5 inches and a male's heart is 10.5 ounces.
What Causes It To Flutter?
Many things can cause your heart to flutter. In most situations, the cause is either related to your heart or is unknown. Non-heart-related causes include:
Strong emotions such as anxiety, fear, or stress; flutters often occur during panic attacks.
Strong physical activity
Caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, or illegal drugs
Medical conditions, including thyroid disease, a low blood sugar level, low blood pressure, fever, and dehydration
Medications, including diet pills, asthma inhalers, and some drugs used to prevent arrhythmias (a serious heart rhythm problem)
Different types of herbal and nutritional supplements
What Causes Cardiac Arrest?
During cardiac arrest, the ventricles (the heart's lower chambers) don't beat normally. Instead, they quiver very rapidly and irregularly. When this happens, the heart pumps little or no blood to the body. Cardiac Arrest is fatal if not treated within a few minutes. - https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/scda/causes.html
- The average adult heart beats 72 times in a minute. This is 100 000 times a day, 3 600 000 times a year, and 2.5 billion times during a lifetime!
- A kitchen faucet would have to be turned on all the way for at least 45 years to equal the amount of blood pumped by the heart in an average lifetime.
- Laughter really is great medicine! A hearty laugh can send up to 20% more blood pumping throughout your body.
- A woman’s heart typically beats faster than a man’s. The heart of an average man beats approximately 70 times a minute, whereas the average woman has a heart rate of 78 beats per minute.
- One person’s system of blood vessels is over 60,000 miles long, which is long enough to go around the world twice.