Harry & Rosemary Wong's Principles
WHY ARE WE READING THEIR PRINCIPLES?
They endorse their perspective through maxims such as:
1. The main problem in classrooms is not poor discipline, but poor classroom management.
2. Responsibilities help clarify what everyone is supposed to do
3. If you do not plan, your students will plan for you.
Their Principles in Detail
Emphazised on making the students learn your responsibilities and theirs
Responsibilities as your Teacher
Treat you with respect
Provide with oderly classroom environment, appropriate motivation & guidance for success
Teach required content
Responsibilities as my Students
Treat me with respect
Attend class regularly; be cooperative & non disruptive
Study well & master required content
What do the Wongs Suggest for Beginning a Class Successfully?
- Set high expectations on the first day
- Plan the entire day right down to the minute
- Make sure to give attention to establishing routines and learning students’ names
Before class begins, tell yourself the fowling:
- I will establish classroom management procedures from the beginning.
- I will convey that this class will be work-oriented, with a competent, and caring teacher.
- I will establish work habits in my student first before teaching content.
Wong's about the first 5 mins of the class
- Set a lasting tone for your class
- Students must know what they are expected to do
- When they come in, explain what you want to have happen at the start of the day
- When students work, take roll while you walk around and observe
Wong's about the first day of class
It is helpful to script excatly what you intent to say, do & accomplish during the first day or days of the class.
Have your classroom ready for instructions & making it inviting
Stand at the door & greet students as they enter
Give them the seating assignment
Post an assignment in a consistent location
An effective teacher makes a plan and modifies as needed
For example, Mrs. Pantoja's plan for the first day
Dress in a professional manner that models success & suggest you expect achievement
Wong's about the First Week/10 days of Teaching
Teach procedures & rules
Explain the rationale & put it into effect immediately.
Have student follow the instructions untill they follow them automatically
Specifically for the first 10 days of the school:
- Jane Sovenske, a National Board Certified Teacher
- Self-manger plan – self-manger application – self-evaluation
Do the Wongs’ Ideas Work for Secondary Teachers?
The wongs’ approach works equally well at the high school levels.
Many teachers used Wong’s ideas and found that they:
- Could manage their classes successfully
- Had a very successful academically
- Began enjoying the pleasures of teaching
Secondary teachers’ experiences:
What Do Wongs Say about Procedures for Cooperative Work Groups?
Support groups & support buddy
Teach students how to do the fowling:
- Ask a support buddy for help if you have a question.
- Be responsible for your own work and behavior.
- Help any support buddy who asks for help.
- Ask for help from the teacher only when support buddies cannot supply it.
More about a Management Plan
Write your expectations as rules & post them in the class
Go over with the rules with them on the first day of class
Limit to maximum of FIVE
Procedures & What They Entail
Student learning will be determined by how well have you established the procedures, the very first day
Students appreciate procedures which promises security & which minimizes confusion
Three Things to Establish Good Procedures
- Set routines
- List steps when students participates in an activity
- Teach students through explanations, demonstartion & Practice
Practice makes us perfect :)
Lets start with one of the example
We’re going to a do group example of how to set procedures in a 4th grade classroom. Lets work as a class together
We will break into our support groups to do remainder of the examples
Ex. It is well into the school year for this 4th grade class. What are some things a teacher in the Wong’s style might have students do for their “morning entry procedure?”"