Irish Soda Bread
The most delicious reason to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt
- 0.5 stick cold, unsalted butter
- 1.75 cups cold buttermilk, shaken
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup raisins
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line pan with parchment paper.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in the bowl. Mix with paddle.
3. Add butter mix on low speed until the butter is mixed into the flour.
4. Lightly beat the buttermilk and egg together. Turn mixer to low speed and slowly add the buttermilk to the flour mixture.
5. Dust raisins with flour and add to dough mixture.
6. Put dough on floured board. Knead into round loaf. Place load on sheet pan and slice 'X' shape into the top.
7. Bake load for 45-60 minutes. Use cake tester (it must come out clean) to check if finished. Cooked loaf will have hollow sound when tapped.
8. Cool on rack. Serve at room temperature.