By Christopher McGuire
- What type work/job overview?
Mechanical engineering is one of the largest, broadest, and oldest engineering disciplines. Mechanical engineers use the principles of energy, materials, and mechanics to design and manufacture machines and devices of all types. They create the processes and systems that drive technology and industry.
- work envronment
Mechanical engineering technicians assist with manufacturing processes in factories, or with development phases in research and development labs before manufacturing takes place.
- What is the current salary?
The median annual wage for mechanical engineering technicians was $51,980 in May 2012. The median wage is the wage at which half of the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $33,370, and the top 10 percent earned more than $76,660.. Most mechanical engineers work full time.
- Jose Ibanez
Senior Mechanical Engineer United Defense / FMC Corporation San Jose, CA
BS, Mechanical Engineering, San Jose State University
AS, Engineering, Foothill Community College
Senior Mechanical Engineer, working in a product realization group that includes structural design, stress analysis, materials, armor systems, and prototype development of military vehicles.
- What are the major responsibilities The responsibilities include:
- and maintenance of mechanical machines
- What types of places do mechanical engineers work? Their jobs may take them from an office environment to a manufacturing plant and to the outdoors to ensure their designs are constructed and working properly.
- What kind of education is needed for this type of work?
A career in mechanical engineering requires at least a bachelor's degree. These programs include instruction in various system components, from computer programming to power systems, and cover technical subjects, such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics and hydraulics.