Unit 1 Building Block 2
Celebrate Freedoms Week
- The US government is outlined by the principles of the Constitution.
Building Block Overview:
The student will learn about the rights and responsibilities of being a United States citizen. They will also learn about the meaning of the Pledge of Allegiance. Each school district shall require that, during Celebrate Freedom Week or other week of instruction prescribed under subparagraph (A) of this paragraph, students in Grades 3-12 study and recite the following text: "We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness--That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed."
- I can state the guaranteed rights to individuals outlined in the Bill of Rights.
- I can explain the purpose of the US Constitution.
- I can describe the significance of Constitution Day.
1. Read aloud the above book or one similar from Destiny Quest.
2. Read and discuss red text pages 290-299 or visit the following site:
3. Have students memorize the Preamble, red textbook page 325.
4. Discuss the meaning of the Pledge of Allegiance. Visit the History of the Pledge website for background information.
5. Visit other websites listed on the Building Block 2 for more information.
6. See Checkpoints attached to the back of the building block.
Optional Activity -
Bill of Rights Lesson
1. Visit Discovery Education's video about the Pledge of Allegiance.