Quantitative vs. Qualitative
Quantitative data are anything that can be expressed as a number.
- Deals with numbers.
- Data which can be measured.
- Length, height, area, volume, weight, speed, time, temperature, humidity, sound levels, cost, members, ages, etc.
- Quantitative → Quantity
- Scores on achievement tests,number of hours of study, or weight of a subject.
Qualitative data cannot be expressed as a number.
- Deals with descriptions.
- Data can be observed but not measured.
- Colors, textures, smells, tastes, appearance, beauty, etc.
- Qualitative → Quality
- Nominal scales such as gender, economic status, or religious preference are usually considered to be qualitative data.