by Christopher Aishman.
Plaints are different shapes and sizes and color
Light from the Sun reaches Earth in around 8 minutes.
The Sun’s core is around 13600000 degrees Celsius!
Because of the Sun’s huge influence on Earth, many early cultures saw the Sun as a deity or god. For example, Ancient Egyptians had a sun god called Ra while in Aztec mythology there is a sun god named Intonation.
The Sun produces a solar wind which contains charged particles such as electrons and protons. They escape the Sun’s intense gravity because of their high kinetic energy and the high temperature of the Sun’s corona (a type of plasma atmosphere that extends into space.
Planets with strong magnetic fields such as Earth manage to deflect most of these charged particles as they approach.
- A solar eclipse occurs when the Moon is between the Sun and the Earth.
- The Sun is a star found at the center of the Solar System.
- It makes up around 99.86% of the Solar System’s mass.
- At around 1,392,000 kilometers (865,000 miles) wide, the Sun’s diameter is about 110 times wider than Earth’s.
- Light from the Sun reaches Earth in around 8 minutes.