Effects of Language
Briana & Alicia
Survival of Auschwitz
Declarative: "This is hell." pg. 1255
-This is an example of a declarative sentence because it simply makes a statement.
Imperative: "Forbidden to drink, the water is dirty." pg.1255
- This a command by the Germans not to drink the water.
Interrogative: " Why should our shoes be stolen?" pg. 1255
- The author asks himself why this is happening.
from Night by: Elie Wiesel
- Exclamatory: And, in the depths of my being, in the recesses of my weakened conscience, could I have searched it, I might perhaps have found something like --- free at last! pg 1267
- Interrogative: Having lived through so much, could I leave my father to die now? Why do they keep hitting me? pg 1262 & pg 1265
- Imperative: “Father!” I screamed. “Father! Get up from here! Immediately! You’re killing yourself… pg 1262
- Declarative: "Listen to me, boy. Don't forget that you're in a concentration camp. Here, every man has to fight for himself and think of anyone else. Even of his father. Here, there are no fathers, no brothers, no friends. Everyone lives and dies for himself alone. I'll give you a sound piece of advice - don't give your ration of bread and soup to your old father. There's nothing you can do for him. And you're killing yourself. Instead, you ought to be having his ration." pg 1266
Primo Levi and Elie Wiesel
The overall theme in both Night and Survival in Auschwitz is that you will have to sacrifice the thing that you value the most in order to survive. Also the theme is even in your darkest hour keep your head high and don't fall into the pit. Primo Levi had to sacrifice his freedom but he keep his head up. "But by now my belief is that all this is a game to mock and sneer at as. Clearly they will kill us, whoever thinks he is going to live is mad, it means that he has swallowed the bait, but I have not; I have understood that it will soon all be over....". Elie Wiesel had to sacrifice his father but he knew it for the best. He knew that his father was not going to last long anyways and he did not want to see his father being beat by fellow dorm room mates. " I thought in the most secret region of my heart, but I dared not admit it. It's too late to save your father, I said to myself...".