7th -Grade English Portfolio
My Portfolio Reflection
1. How would you describe your writing at the beginning of the year and how would you describe it now? I would say that in the beginning of the year my writing wasn't good because I did not know how to do good thesis statements and claims. Now my writing is so much better and I actually like what I write now and it makes more scents when you read it.
2. What do you consider your writing strengths? Explain. I would say one of my strengths this year is writing better hooks so people would want to read my writing. Also that my thesis statements and claims are so much better than last year and the beginning of this year. I use to not really like writing because I couldn't make my writing exciting to read, but now I think people like reading my writing because I make it exciting and not boring.
3. What writing skills do you need and/or want to continue to develop next year? Explain. I will keep writing good thesis and claims in my writing. I will also follow the Hero's Journey if the essay follows it. I will use good grammar and better vocab words in my writing.I will not repeat words over and over again like; I, like, also, and other common words. I will use better words to use in my writing.The writing skill I need to work on is following the prompt because sometimes I wouldn't do the prompt and my writing wouldn't make scents, but this year I was so much at following the prompt than last year.
4. What piece of writing from this year best captures your growth as a writer and thinker? Explain why.The Hero's Journey essay shows my growth in writing I've done this year. I'm proud of this essay because if I wrote this in the beginning of the year it wouldn't be as good as it should have been. Also it shows that my writing got better because it makes scene and it doesn't repeat any words so people will get bored reading it. I think it shows that I had good claims, evidence, and a good thesis statements. It also shows that I've learned something this year and also the book we read was The Outsiders and I liked that book so I think that's also why I liked this writing essay was one of my best essays I did this year.
5. What piece of writing from this year are you most proud of? Explain why.I'm really proud on my Holocaust letter because it shows effort and that my writing has change from the pasted years. This year we did lots of fun essays, but I chose this one to be proud of because I really liked this assignment because we got to see different perspectives of other people's opinions of the Holocaust. It also felt like I really was in the Holocaust and it was one of the depressing units we did, but it was fun writing to our pen pals and I also felt like I was into this writing unit because I took my time and didn't rush the writing we had to do.
Hero’s Journey Essay
The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton it’s a monomyth. It follows the Hero’s Journey because Ponyboy goes through all the phases of the Hero’s Journey. Everybody is a hero in their own way, just like Pony and Johnny were in The Outsiders. The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton is a monomyth because Ponyboy goes through all the phases of the Hero’s Journey.
Ponyboy experiences The Separation from the Known when Darry slaps him and then he runs away with Johnny. After Darry slapped Pony he thinks Darry does not love him he thought to himself, “I bet he wishes he could stick me in a home somewhere, and he’d do it, too if Soda’d let him”(42). In the Hero’s Journey, The Separation from the Known is when the hero is forced to leave their everyday life. In The Outsiders, Ponyboy thinks Darry hates him because he slapped him. Darry did what he did was because it was very late when Pony came home and Darry thought something may have happened to Ponyboy. Darry would never want his brothers to get taken away from him so when Pony came home late he thought that maybe Ponyboy could have gotten jumped again or got hurt. Darry thinks Pony has a future and he can succeed in school so he wants him to stay in school and not drop out like he and Soda did so that is another reason why Darry is so hard on him because Ponyboy is very smart and could go to college. He loves Ponyboy and would not want anything to happen to him because he cares and loves his brothers very much. Pony assumed that why Darry slapped him was because he hates him and likes Soda better, but that is not true Darry loves him and would be heartbroken if Pony got taken away from him.
In conclusion, in The Outsiders it is a monomyth because it follows all the phases of the Hero’s Journey. Ponyboy and Johnny experiences all the phases of the Hero’s Journey because their experiences of the monomyth are similar to other heros monomyths. Everybody thinks that a hero saves the world and fights a vivilin but a hero could just save one person and you could say that they are a hero.
My family is doing okay, but we are very scared and it’s much harder every day for us now. My parents left to go shop for food today, but they found out that Jews were not allowed to go in any of them. My parents told my sisters and I when they came back and we are now scared that we will starve to death because we do not have enough food. We have some food, but not enough. I have have lost weight and I’m getting skinny. My sisters and parents are also losing weight too. I can’t go anywhere without the Nazis seeing me because they are everywhere. I hope we can leave Germany and go somewhere where we know we will be safe. I use to like my life because I was not sad and scared to go outside, but now my life is miserable and I’m depressed, scared, and very sad everyday. So many people are dying around me is this how a 13 girl should live her life? We are thinking of sending my little sister Lily away because she does not know what is going on and it is very hard to explain it to her without making her cry or be scared of what is happening. We are thinking that we should send her to Poland to live with my Aunt for just for a few months and when she is older we can explain what's going on. I do not want her to leave because I’m scared I will not see her again. Another problem if we send her away is that we do not have enough money to send her to Poland, but my parents are smart and I know they will figure something out. The Nazis have also been going into peoples houses and taking whatever they want and no one can stop them and if they try to they will kill you. They have been to our house and every time my mom and dad see them they hide my sisters and I in the basement in our house to keep us safe. Also some days we hear people screaming and it scares us so much. Something terrible happened tonight, I heard noises and I looked out the window and saw a woman yelling at a Nazi,
“What are you doing you can not take that it belongs to me!” After the women yelled to the Nazi he meanly replied,
“You are not aloud to talk to me like that,” and shot her right in the head. I closed the curtain and told my mom what I just saw and she said in a very scared and shaky voice, “ The Nazis will do that so that’s why we have to be very careful, do you understand now?”
“Yes I guess I do,” I told my mom. I hope you are good and keep safe it’s getting worse everyday.