The Skeletal System
By: Jaliyah Pitt, Anaja Hewlin, and Victoria Knight
The Skeletal System is one of the major body systems in the human body. It is the framework of the body, consisting of the bones and other connective tissues.
One disease that affects the skeletal system is called osteoporosis:
- This is a medical condition in which the bones become brittle and fragile from a loss of tissue, typically as a result of hormonal changes, or deficiency or calcium or vitamin D. This disease, which affects in the skeletal system, can strike anyone at any age.
- Osteoporosis is also called the “silent disease” because bones are lost without any signs.
- Most of the time, you may not know you have osteoporosis until a strain, bump, or fall causes a bone to break (the symptoms of osteoporosis)
- Even though there no cure for osteoporosis, you should try these steps order to prevent osteoporosis, you should try to a diet rich in calcium, and vitamin D, which makes your bones stronger. Or trying more calcium such as; low-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese. You can eat foods that are added with calcium such as bread, orange juice, and cereal. ~ Anaja ~
- Major organs in the skeletal system: Although the major feature of this system is the bones, the skeletal system also consist cartilage, ligament, tendons, and other structures that hold the bones together and stabilize them.
- The skeletal system performs vital functions - support movement, protect, blood cell production, calcium storage and endocrine regulation. There are 5 primary functions of the skeletal system: support, protection, movement, blood cell production, and mineral storage. ~ Vicky ~
- Diagnosis for Osteoporosis , are check your risk for fracture and to see if treatments are making bones stronger or weaker .
- a treatment for osteoporosis is a balanced diet , of vitamin D and rich calcium
- another treatment is and healthy exercise plan and healthy lifestyle and medications if needed .
- Also a condition in which bones come weak and brittle
- More than 3m people catch osteoporosis in the US
- Women are most affected by osteoporosis
- Women ages 60 and up are the most to catch osteoporosis , some people that catch osteoporosis , mostly stop everything and give up . ~ Liyahh ~
Your Skeletal System does not work alone. Muscles and your skeleton connect together and contract together (work together) to help you move.