Top Performance through Empowerment, Teamwork and Communication
Hello everyone! Welcome to my cafe. In this cafe I will be going over pages 272-281 of Chapter 9. I will be talking about basic communication and why it is important in business. I will also cover forms of communication and the communication process. I will be using bullets to simplify important information and I will be using bold to show important terms. All information in this cafe is crucial and essential. I will try and make it as simple and enjoyable as possible. Happy learning and enjoy!
The Importance of Basic Communication
In order to be effective in this world, communication is a must! Without communication we are doomed and nothing would ever get done.
- Why is communication important?
- What is communication?
We need each other to make new ideas, in order to have functioning businesses, to make dreams come true, to build things and the list goes on.
Communication- Meaningful exchange of information through messages
Some examples of effective communication are....
- Giving feedback
The Process of Communication
In order to have effective communication, there are steps that should be taken. This involves six key elements.
Sender- Forms the message
Channel- The communication carrier, where the message travels through
Audience- People who get the message
Feedback- Comes from the audience and they express their thoughts
Context- Is the influence of the information received and if it was effective
Message- The information that is being sent
- What does encoding a message mean?
-The sender translates its meaning into understandable terms.
Communication mostly relies on verbal and written messages.
Noise- Is a type of interference that influences the transmission of messages and feedback
-Noise can happen in any step of the communication process
-In order to communicate successfully, the individual relaying the message has to be paying close attention to each step
Basic Forms of Communication
- Communication that is communicated through speech
- Face to face communication
- Considered the most accurate kind of communication
What are the three most important points of oral communication?
- Being able to combine words
- Facial cues
- Tone of voice
What are some examples of oral communication?
- Face to face conversations
- Voice mails
- Telephone conversations
- Radio broadcasts
- Video messaging
What is the most essential component to oral communication?
Listening- receiving a message and interpreting it's intended meaning by grasping the facts and feelings it conveys
Listening is not easy by any means, it is actually extremely difficult because it involves a whole lot of focusing.
There are four listening behaviors
1. Cynical or defense listening- when the receiver of the message feels the sender is trying to receive personal gain
2. Offensive listening- the receiver tries to catch the speaker in a mistake or contradiction
3. Polite listening- mechanical type of listening, receiver listens to be polite rather than to participate in the conversation
4. Active listening- involvement with information
- Communicating through writing
- Most common form of communication for a business setting
- Interaction with the written word
What are some examples of written communication?
- formal reports
- internet messages
- A communication that follows a chain of command
- follows an organization
- or other members
What are some examples of formal communication?
- press conference
- oral presentations
- news releases
- transmitted outside formal channels
- without regarding hierarchy or authority
What are some examples of informal communication?
grapevine-internal information channel that transmits information from unofficial sources
- through actions
- no words
- through behaviors
Some examples of nonverbal communication are...
- body language
- facial expressions
External Communication and Crisis Management
External Communication- meaningful exchange of information through messages transmitted between an organization and its major audiences
Examples of major audiences
- general public
- government officials
Steps that should be followed in Crisis Management
- respond quickly
- prepare something in writing and make sure it is followed
- hold a press conference, address their questions and concerns
- when answering questions, makes sure only facts are talked about
- reply with "No comment," and never with "I don't know."
- issues and concerns should be talked about
- feedback should be warranted
- solutions should always be shared and discussed
- every conference should be to the point and effective
Classmate review questions-
1. Why is communication essential? What forms of communication do we have?
2. What are the four listening behaviors? Describe each one.
3. There are six elements in the process of communication, what are they? Which one do you prefer and why?
Message from Instructor: I really hope you enjoyed my lesson and most importantly I hope you observed all of the material in an easy manner! Thank you and enjoy the rest of the week!