The Story of Electronics
There is on Youtube a video called The Story of Electronics. Even if it was published in 2010, it stills a good source of information that is actual even four years later.
The following information is the important points of the video.
1) The electronics are design for the dump.
- That means that the designers of the electronics are voluntary creating products that won’t last and that will be impossible to repair by changing a piece so you have to buy a new one while the object is send in countries like India where it causes trouble for the people living there.
- Theay are easy to brake
- Can’t repair them
- Global warning
- 25 million tons of ewaste
- The owners of the companies get the profits and everyone else pays.
- They are making personal profits instead of using the money for security of the employees and the detoxification of the products.
2) Process – The steps of an electronic life
- Extraction of raw materials: in mine factories where the workers get sick because of the toxic fumes.
- Production: toxic products are put in the electronics and it will undoubtedly goes out at a certain time, even when the buyer is still using it.
- Distribution: not a large choice of green products.
- Consumption: the product lasts for a smaller amount of time that it should.
- Disposal: in other countries, dangerous for the others.
This in an example of where the e-waste is exported!
- No PVC, no toxic flame retardants.
- Product take back: longer lasting, less toxic, more recyclable.
- Designers have to compete to make longer lasting.
- Just send a new piece instead of change all the product.
- Don’t export recycling.
- More green choices so the consumers can have a larger possibility.
By Aurelie Major
Sources of the images and the video: