The Fault in Our Stars
By: John Green
(Only chapters 1-5)
Tackk by: Heather Kleeves
I think of the song Counting Stars when I read The Fault in Our Stars. One connection I made was that in the song it says, ¨Lately I've been, I've been losing sleep, dreaming about the things that we could be,¨ maybe Augustus or Hazel loose sleep thinking about what they are gonna become. Also you think of the two ¨stars¨ Hazel and Augustus, and when they meet the whole world changes. Fate is broken.
One theme I think about when I read this book is death. Hazel talks a lot about death and how one day, we are all gonna die anyway.
-Hazel Grace Lancaster: Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But then a boy named Augustus Waters shows up to support group and changes everything. Her story is about to become completely rewritten. (According to the inside cover of the book)
-Augustus Waters: Augustus was long, skinny, muscular, and had mahogany hair, straight and short. He looked about Hazel's age or maybe a year older. He loves using metaphors. He is a very proper gentleman.
-Isaac: Isaac is a seventeen year old that needs surgery that will make him blind. This surgery is the only possible way for him to survive. He has a girlfriend named Monica. They have a symbol implying that they will always love each other. But, even this always isn't always.......
-Monica: Monica was a tall, curvy, brunette girl. She was Isaac's girl friend.
-Jackie: Jackie was the girl who came up to Hazel at the mall and asked her what her oxygen tank was.
-Kaitlyn: Kaitlyn was Hazel's best friend.
-Episcopal Church: Where Hazel went to Support group at.
-Augustus's house: Hazel went there to watch the movie
Hazel has to go to support group because of depression. She meets a boy named Augustus, and instantly falls in love. This totally changes fate........
1) Man vs. Man: Hazel vs. her mom: Not wanting to go to support group
2) Man vs. Self: Hazel vs. Herself: Hazel keeps thinking about how Augustus maybe tried to kiss her, and how she didn't wanna kiss him.
1) Augustus uses a cigarette to represent cancer and to symbolize how he has the power now rather than cancer.
FORESHADOWING / SUSPENSE:
1) When Hazel and Augustus have the picnic, he brings dutch food, and has a jersey from a dutch basketball player foreshadowing that he is gonna take Hazel to Amsterdam to meet P.V.H.
1) Text to Self: My mom had cancer when she was younger, but she lived through it. :)
2)Text to Movie: I once watched a movie name Stepmom, about a lady who had cancer.
Here is a scene from the the book, enjoy!