Schools of the Future
by Samuel Watson
Classroom Area: Physical Classroom
- Withe the transition from chalkboards to dry erase boards to finally Smart Boards, we have come a long way
- By the year 2020, there will be a much larger screen used to display the information
- The price of screens is falling and the screens are getting bigger and soon we may have walls designated for projection from a computer.
- Just in the past 5 years, Smart Boards have gone up in size, down in price, and grown much more efficient and reliable
- Desks will be replaced by interactive tables that coordinate wit the lesson on the overhead
Classroom Area: Instruction
- With access to the Internet, ideas are spreading all over the world with ease which heightens the possibilities for things like middle school projects, kindergarten crafts, and High School math strategies
- With the rapid expansion of MOOCs, future college instruction could be broadcasted all over the world for relatively inexpensive prices
- Delivery methods of instruction will grow from learning knowledge to experiencing knowledge as new possibilities for hands on activities grow unlock with advance in technology.
- Virtual Fieldtrips will grow in popularity as the availability and variety increases. This is due to the fact that most are free, you don't have to be constantly rounding up students, and the tours are specific to individual students because they allow them to explore and investigate whatever they choose
Classroom Area: Technology
- The price of Nooks, Kindles, and other eReaders is dropping. As school boards realize they will not only save money, but provide students to updated textbooks and information, allow them to carry their books all in a small, light tablet, and also provide students with a resource to apps and the Internet which can be a well of useful information, they will make the transition from textbooks to laptops.
- Although a bring-your-own-device policy may not be beneficial due to the high temptations and distractions of games and social media, there is a place for laptops and tablets in school
- Due to the control over the software, schools are able to put restrictions on such devices that only allow access to school related material
- Tablets and Laptops provide advanced methods of note-taking and access to information which is highly beneficial for leaning and facilitates the education process
- New generations of students are increasingly teach savvy and will respond energetically to any sort of technology: According to recent studies, more 3 to 5 year olds can navigate an iPad than can tie their shoes
- With Google's "Google Glass" in beta testing, as well as other augmented reality glasses may allow supplementary material to be displayed right in their glasses, supplementing lesson material and providing insight
- Future biometric sensors may be used to find students who are struggling in class but don't want to say anything. Things like heartbeat monitors and perspiration sensors would allow teachers see who is behind and needs extra assistance
- As technology advances, schools will be forced to take a share of the benefits they bring in order to amplify and induce proficiency in the classroom
The Stakeholders in the future of American education are probably State School Boards, and school instrument developers such as Texas Instruments, Dell, and Pentel
This most applies to peoples and machines because its the people and the machines that are developing the technology. The people are the students, the teachers, and the technology developers. The machines are the laptops, tablets, smart boards, and all other classroom related technology. One problem that arises with this issue is how far can we depend on technology to educate kids. The solution is to ratify the need for teachers in the classroom to guide and facilitate students in their learning.
The Strand two aspect is most applicable to education and training. This is because you are educating the students and training them in their classroom. The technology is used used such as the virtual tours, the laptops, and the smart boards, which all can dominate a students education day. You are not only training the students in their knowledge but also their life skills.
Obviously this will apply to Hardware. All the new technology that arises in the future will bring out new hardware, such as screens, tablets, and overheads. This also applies to Software because new software is required to supplement these new devices. You need software such as for the interfaces and in order to coordinate all the supplemental displays like the overhead, table top, and other personal screens.
The School in 2020 will be drastically different from what it is today. The overhead displays will become larger and more interactive. Software advancements will allow the supplement of multiple displays over multiple devices in order to approach education in the most clear and effective method. We will see the demise of textbooks and the upbringing of eBooks and eReaders. Classrooms will become more concise, direct, and efficient which will allow the most beneficial and effective education methods that the world has ever seen.