BIOTIC - living elements in an ecosystem
Animals: Lizards, Spiders, Ants, Snakes, Hawks, Mice, Fox, Guanaco, Eagle, Emu, Leopard, Bats, Badger.
plants: Elephant tree, Organ pipe cactus, Desert sage, Desert marigold, willow tree Saguaro, Barrel cactus, Cactuses.
Abiotic- non-living things in an ecosystem
Hot dry weather, cold nights, rocks, sand, little water.
Carrying and changing in population
- carrying capacity means an equilibrium number of organisms of a particular species that can be supported indefinitely in a given environment. A population needs food, water, shelter, and space
-snakes may be able to go along time without food, but they need to find a place to seek shelter so they wont get taken bye a hawk.
Limiting factors means something causing a decrease in population. a limiting factor for the desert is there is not enough water, temperature too hot, lots of wind.
A predator prey relationship is the hawk and lizard, the way the limiting factors effect them is the lizard is cold blooded so it has to sit in the sun to heat up leaving it vaulerable to the hawk.
Producers.like desert sage starts the energy transformation for the other roles.
First level consumer are herbivores for example a desert mice, who eat the producers get the energy from the sage and thus continuing the flow of energy roles.
Second level consumer either eats a first level consumer or a producer, like the hawk.
Third level consumers are full out carnvores! witch would eat a hawk, like the voultre. (can be scavengers)
Decomposers- breaks down waste, and dead thing to return the nutrients back to the producers. (worms, fungi, mushrooms, ect.)
* in a eco system its always important to have a producer, it gets its energy from the sun to help make food for its self. and when the consumer eats it gains some of the energy that the plant had gotten from the sun. producers start an ecosystem!
Food Chains / Food Webs
I feel like because the desert is so hot and dry the animals need to fend for them selfs eating what ever they can get so getting tis energy from lots of different species and not one making the food web better for my ecosystem.
The food web shows how the energy flows through out different animals.
Trophic levels and food webs
-the energy pyramid is in the shape that its in because the animals that eat the lesser animals they only get 10% of the animal that they ate therefore being a smaller population going up the pyramid.
producers are the biggest because they get their energy from the sun and that is an unlimited amount of resourses.
-The chemical equation for photosynthesis is 6CO2 + 6H2O --------> C6H12O6 + 6O2
-A plant needs carbon dioxide, water, and sunlight to create photosynthesis. so it can create oxygen, and glucose.
- Photosynthesis is created in the leaves (where the food is made) and the stem.
- In a cactus has a groot that grows or srinks depending on how much dirt there is.
-The groots or spikes keep the predator from eating the cactus.
, a- if there were no decomposers in the desert the whole desert floor would be covered with meet and bone and waste.
- Types of decomposers in the desert are, worms, voultres, bettles, bugs. ect.