How are they formed?
When water reaches 80 degrees, the water will start to rise, which means it is low pressure. With the empty space at the bottom, all the air and water will start flowing to the bottom. The wind comes and gets the water moving. That keeps repeating, and it spins because of the coriolis effect.
What is the coriolis effect?
The rotating system, moving in the direction in the motion.
What is one of the hurricanes in the past 10 years?
Hurricane Katrina. The storm cost $81 billion in damages, it was in August 2008, it costed over 1800 deaths, and it was a category 3 hurricane.
What is one of the hurricanes in the past 75+ years?
The hurricane of 1938. (They didn't name hurricanes at that time). It was a category 3 hurricane, it caused 300 deaths, and it cost over $3 billion in damages.
Impact on human life:
It requires specific construction for buildings and homes near the areas in which hurricanes happen a lot. it requires people to be very cautious by the oceans on a windy day. Massive winds make the people in the areas of hurricanes, aware that they need to tie everything in their yard down. We are able to turn on the TV and get a warning for the hurricane, as they were not able to in the early 1900's. We have the technology to see when hurricanes are coming, why and how they form, and when they will come up. It helps so that we don’t lose houses, lives or even property and belongings.
How do humans prepare?
They get aware, and they either go somewhere safer if they have enough time, or they go to the basement.
- First person to fly into a hurricane was 1943 in the middle of world war II
- Hurricanes are the only weather disasters that have been giving their own names
- A typical hurricane dumps 6 to a foot of rain in one area
- The first hurricane of the year is given a name that starts with the letter a
- There is a hurricane on the planet Jupiter that has been going on for over 300 years. The hurricane itself is bigger than the entire planet earth.
- An australian weatherman was the first person to give hurricanes names. His name was C.
- Every second, a hurricane releases the same amount of energy as 10 atomic bombs.
- The first hurricane with a males name was hurricane Bob in 1979
- In 1971, a hurricane lasted for over 3 weeks