November 26, 2013
OVER 13 MILLION CHILDREN THIS YEAR WILL BE BULLIED AT SCHOOL, ONLINE, ON THE BUS, AT HOME, THROUGH THEIR CELL PHONE, AND ON THE STREETS OF THEIR TOWN MAKING
THE MOST COMMON FORM OF VIOLENCE YOUNG PEOPLE FACE IN THIS COUNTRY.
The Statistics of Bullying
- Every 7 minutes a child is bullied in the United States.
- Every 7 minutes a child is bullied on the playground.
- Everyday 160,000 students will miss school because of bullying.
- Every month 3 million students do not attend school because they do not feel safe.
- 34% of children report being bullied on a regular basis.
- 1 of every 4 children are more than occasionally cyberbullied.
- 86% report bullying has interfered with studying-intermediate or severe.
- When polled, 98% of students indicated they would like teachers to intervene.
- Bullying is the leading cause of suicide between the ages of 11 - 16.
- 77% of students are bullied mentally, verbally, or physically.
- In schools where there are anti-bullying projects, bullying is reduced up to 50%.
Bullying others or being bullied can have long-lasting physical and emotion effects on people into their adult lives.
Bullies affect others emotionally...
- Sadness, hurt feelings, loneliness, depression
- Powerless, alone, different, unpopular
Bullies affect others physically...
- Skipping school, bad grades and even afraid to go to school
- Headaches, stomach aches and anxiety
- Lack of sleep
- Thoughts of suicide in extreme cases
Information has been taken from the following sites: