Which of the following motivates employees the most?
- Training opportunities
- Leadership / Manager
- Regular Appraisals
Training - On and Off the Job Training...
First, what is the difference between the two? What are the pros and cons of each?
What is Induction training?
Not sure? What does the word Induction sound like? What if we added the letters 'tro' in there somewhere? What 5 areas would you show and what 5 things should you know if you were showing round a brand new student at Hastingsbury?
Activity - 'Appy Training
- In pairs, write a 5 point instruction list for your favourite mobile app
- Swap instructions with your partner and ask them to teach you how it works verbally. Let's call this a a kind of 'off the job' training!
- Now, get your mobiles out and take turns to teach each other while actually using the relevant app (let's call this a kind of 'on the job' form of training)
- Again, discuss the pros and cons of on / off the job training!
Activity - Using the Infographic below, identify 'style of leadership' for...
- FAVOURITE TEACHER
- FOLKS AT HOME
- FAMOUS BUSINESS LEADER
- CAPTAIN OF FAVOURITE SPORTS TEAM
- FAVOURITE MOVIE (DIRECTOR)
- PRIME MINISTER
Appraisals - What are they? Pros and Cons? How do they motivate?
Some typical Appraisal questions....
- What do you enjoy most about your current role?
- How effective do you feel you are in your current role?
- How would you describe your current responsibilities?
- What do you see as the next step in your career development?
- What do you see as your major strengths?
- What do you see as your main development needs?
- What do you wish to achieve during this next year?
- How do you currently manage your workload?
- How do you feel you coped with the pressure of the workload this year?
- What has helped you in achieving your objectives this year?
- How would you like to see your role develop in the future?
- How could I support you more in your role?
- What could you do to develop you knowledge and skills level?
- What type of feedback would you like to give me?
- How effective has the training and development you have received this year been?
Homework Activity -
Parents / Guardians at Work!
Get to know your folks and what they do by finding out whether they actually have an Appraisal at their place of work! They'll appreciate the interest and you'll learn all about this topic at the same time! Win Win! The kind of questions you could ask are also listed above!