Water use in developed and Undeveloped countries

By:James bostic, Parker Young, and Ayden Salter

Water use has been a problem in many undeveloped countries

as you can see many countries suffer from having no water to drink each year. Countries like Mozambique and Uganda. And developed countries have a lot of water.  countries like the U.S and Australia.

Problem Overview

Developing countries – while none are entirely the same – face many of the same problems pertaining to water quality and supply. Foremost, these countries have diminishing reliable access to water, particularly for the poor and marginalized populations [6]. The US Agency for International Development, Bureau of Economic Growth, Agriculture, and Trade breaks down the overall problem into three major divisions:

  • Poor access to water supply
  • Poor water resource management
  • Poor water productivity in the agricultural sector

                How we can help

People can help a lot by saving water. Like when you are taking a shower. To help you can take shorter showers. Some People do microfinancing to help. Microfinancing is when investors can loan small denominations of money – typically ranging from one hundred to a thousand dollars – to people in developing countries, so they can apply that money directly to remedy their symptoms of water security. One advantageous feature of microfinancing is that the people themselves can directly apply for loans. This money can go to install in-home plumbing or water filtration devices at a very small-scale. However, it is small-scale, so it cannot help to finance large infrastructure projects such as dams or city piping, for example. Another drawback to microfinancing is that the loans are typically given at a high interest rate. This puts a large risk factor on the many impoverished people, who – by definition of a developing country – live off of an average of $4,085 or less per year. Another great way to help is to donate to charity organizations.Charity and not-for-profit organizations are another possible source of funding for water infrastructure projects. Not-for-profit organizations are effective at raising money to finance projects in countries that lack the necessary funds. Unfortunately, these are not a viable long-term solution because they only tackle the symptoms of water security and not the actual problems. If the goal of the mission is to provide global long-term water security, the charity organizations would only help in the initial phases to provide short-term relief while the long-term changes are being funded by other means.

One example of an important not-for-profit organization is Charity SA, which has a database of 1,096 charity groups within South Africa [15]. This organization works to provide information about and organize the efforts of the nonprofit groups in South Africa. This is a really efficient way to organize what problems still need attention in South Africa. Charity SA also conducts research on the current issues in the country to provide these groups with information on areas specifically in need. There are many other ways you can help.

              Access to water supply

Developing countries, in particular, have immense problems with access to water. In order for people outside of major cities in these countries to access water domestically, they need roads, pipes, treatment plants, and wells to bring clean and ample water to them. This particularly is a major issue in developing countries because 80 percent of people globally who lack access to water live in rural areas.

Yet in many of these countries, this infrastructure is nowhere to be found, generally because of a lack of funding for creation and upkeep. People in these countries must collect water from far away sources, trekking large distances and carrying large weights of water.

For example, a study of water access in Mongolia by Dore and Nagpal showed that only 44.6 percent of Mongolia’s population has reliable and immediate access to treated, sanitary water sources. The remaining 55.4 percent of the population relies on dirty, polluted water or water of any degree of sanitation that is located outside of the home.

Comment Stream